15mm closed cell foam mat for an insulating jacket for urn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Empty bottle

Reaction score
Bought this very cheap yoga mat for making an insulation jacket for my buffalo hot water urn. Get the grey colour as its the cheapest price and it will make a very cheap and effective jacket for keeping the temp at mashing. Simply cut to size and hot glue some velcro strips for fastening. This is 15mm thick so its an excellent choice and will work very well. Yoga Mat Pilates Gym Exercise Large 15 mm X 1.9 M Thick Carrier Strap | eBay

I'd appreciate a link for that cheap silicone sheet you said you purchased fella?..... all I see is 3 times the price you paid.
I just had a look mate and they are no longer selling the piece that i bought , the mat i bought was a sample and they don't seem to have them available anymore. It is good stuff as i made my 2 gaskets for my urn and they sealed first time with no issues.

Bought this very cheap yoga mat for making an insulation jacket for my buffalo hot water urn. Get the grey colour as its the cheapest price and it will make a very cheap and effective jacket for keeping the temp at mashing. Simply cut to size and hot glue some velcro strips for fastening. This is 15mm thick so its an excellent choice and will work very well. Yoga Mat Pilates Gym Exercise Large 15 mm X 1.9 M Thick Carrier Strap | eBay
I'm going for one of these! My boiler insulation pads have all worn out - they leak foam everywhere and all the insulation is in a ball at the end of each piece! Fingers crossed.

I'm going for one of these! My boiler insulation pads have all worn out - they leak foam everywhere and all the insulation is in a ball at the end of each piece! Fingers crossed.
It works a treat. Ive made a jacket and a hat for the lid and done a few brews with it and the only problem i have had was the hot glue was melting that i used to fix the velcro straps so i take the jacket off the urn when boiling but during the mash it works brilliant.

Last edited:
Bought one and used it today. It works a treat! My mash even appeared to heat up from 65 to 68 degrees (although I expect this was due to operator error!).
I haven't bothered with hot gluing it together, I just use a Bunji to hold it together. I have taped a disc to the base and the lid though.

Latest posts

Back