1st recipe attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewzLee

Reaction score
Brewed this on Friday. This was the 5th AG batch that I have brewed and my first attempt at brewing a beer to my own recipe so I'm hoping it turns out OK. :)

4.50 kg - Pale Malt
330g - Crystal Malt
60 min. mash at 66c

60 min. boil
30g Herkules (60 min - 46.2 ibus)
Added ½ a whirlfloc tablet and chiller @ 15 min
19.5g Cascade (10 min - 3.8 ibus)
@ 0 min chilled down to 80c then added
30g Columbus (0.0 ibus)
30g Cascade (0.0 ibus)
These were steeped for 30 mins before chilling and transferring to FV.
US-05 Yeast

Ended up with 23L in fermenter OG -1.043

I am planning to dry hop with 30g of cascade on day 10 for 4 days, but can add more. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks guys! Not come up with a name for it yet I'll wait to see how it turns out :lol:

Mine get names on the second brewing if I like them enough to make another batch.

Good stuff, and I too would look at dry hopping. Any reason why you aimed for 50 IBUs (just out of curiosity)? I normally look at ~0.8 BU/SG for APAs so would aim more for 35IBUs rather than 50IBUs for that SG. But that is what brewing is all about really - experiment, taste, record and repeat.

I'm sure it'll turn out a cracker!

I'm with Beardy. I have this leather bound book from Italy and second brews only get entered in there. I used to name them from start but bad recipe ruins the name.

I'm finding that I when I drink commercial beers I much prefer those with higher IBUs that are around 4/4.5% abv.
Celt Golden Age is a personal favourite and that comes in at 4.2% and 46 IBUs.
I am going to go with a 30/40g Cascade dry hop as well for aroma.

Latest posts

Back