2021 #4 (Imperial Stout) - Road test of new kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having had over a year off brewing up until March this year, this will be number 4. I have been BIABing since I started, using a 50l stock pot on the gas hob in the kitchen. For the last brew (2021 #3), I tried out using a separate mash tun and cocked up sparging. Luckily, the only issue was an undershoot on batch volume but I've ended up with a very drinkable citra session blond. Some great advice on here on sparging that hopefully will sort out volume issues. The big difference is this time is more new kit. In an effort to get me out of the kitchen, my wife has bought me some new stuff for my birthday so I can brew in the garage. Electric HLT and boiler along with the big igloo cooler mash tun I got for the last one. The HLT and boiler are both grainfather sparge water heaters, the boiler is the Malt Miller Modified version with a different tap and bazooka, they suggest its good for BIAB so if I go back to that, should be okay. I've made them a jacket with a foam roll mat core and foil bubblewrap shell to try and keep the heat in, its supposed to be nice tomorrow but my garage is still quite a bit cooler than my kitchen.
I've recently converted a fridge to fermentation chamber to free up the shower cubicle in the guest bathroom which was my most stable place temperature wise.
Everything is all set up, leak tested etc. so ready to go tomorrow. I'll post the recipe separately but given that the sensible thing brewing on a new set up would be to choose a go-to recipe I could do in my sleep, I've gone the other way and chose a fairly complex RIS. I did consider doing a reiterated mash but there's too much going on for me as it is without adding another new process in. I've also not bothered to much with water treatment before but I've run numbers on here and elsewhere and got some additions which will help my very soft water. I've even bought a pH meter to at least get some data for the future brews. Looking forward to getting going.

Recipe for the brew is:
Maris Otter 9.5kg
Carafa I and III - 200g each
Caramalt- 200g
Roasted Barley-150g
Flaked Oats-500g
Chocolate Malt - 150g (added after mash complete)
(Some light DME on standby if gravity is not right)

Hops Cascade 5.9 - 100g @70mins
Chinook 12.4 - 30g@ 30 mins, 30g @10mins, 40g flameout
Protofloc @ 10 mins

Yeast - Nottingham

Mash - 90 mins @66C
Batch Sparge @ 77C

Target Boil Size - 28l
Target Batch Size - 23l
Target OG - 1.097 (assuming 75% efficiency)
Target FG - 1.019 - (I am suspicious about this figure from Brewtarget software, seems ambitious.
IBU ~65
Colour ~ 37

Ferment at 18C and see how far it gets before I consider any additional yeast or kitchen sink throwing to get the gravity down <1.030. Will then rack to another vessel and leave for a few months, see how its looking approaching Autumn.

Mash is on. It is thick, added an extra couple of litres of water to get it to a better consistency and bring the temp back to 65. Note the jacket I made for the HLT, she ain’t pretty but it got to temperature pretty quick.
1ED7C816-CF24-447E-A457-2F8F3AE20999.jpeg
40B97ACD-B31D-445A-8732-BDB83E8EE035.jpeg
B7CCD670-A9BE-4AE6-A4C0-839943734C67.jpeg
D48ABFD9-BDEC-4C9C-9151-158B78245E71.jpeg

Boil done, wort is cooling. After undershooting on volume last brew, I’ve overcompensated and although I’ve yet to do the final numbers, I’m definitely quite a bit over the 23l target. Wort pH was 5.3 so okay with that.
The new boiler rolls but doesn’t get too vigorous and there was a lot less evaporation than on my stove top 50l pot. Gravity will be lower than target as a result but I’ve brought up to profile range with some dme.
74E8E1ED-0A75-4E37-B22D-F4F10B83D7E5.jpeg
B2B68953-D05A-41FA-ADF1-5C2DD943723E.jpeg
C4E0A425-1BE2-4504-A4B4-FD01DFD28349.jpeg

Yeast pitched, beer in the fridge, clean up done. OG is 1.100 with an extra couple of litres batch volume than target so think I’ve got a decent amount of sugar out the grain. Remains to be seen if it is worth the effort. Dealing with 11kg of grain is a bit of a pita so it will have to be pretty special to want to repeat any time soon. It’s in the hands of the beer gods now anyway.
F7EE3F60-A0BC-4F9A-A5A3-C34F440295FD.jpeg
32275F2F-0D0C-4B2B-86B4-25D435A630CE.jpeg

I went out to check 12 hours post pitching and the blow off was glugging away at around 52 bubbles per minute, similar at 24 hours. I was surprised as previous brews, I’ve used airlocks and hasn’t been as vigorous, this time I’m using a 1/2”ID blow off so thought that would be less obvious given the extra volume and lower pressure. I’ve put it down to the SS bucket actually sealing well compared to my old plastic buckets maybe. I’ve just checked again at the 36 hour mark and activity had increased to about 95 “bpm”. No overspill of krausen through the blow off though. A few articles I read suggested with this style to start lower so the yeast doesn’t go too mad and “paces” itself. Hopefully that’s what it’s doing.

I went back and checked on the beer at 48 hours. The CO2 was bubbling even faster, constant brrrrr noise. It’s slowed again today so I think that’s starting to tail off I think. Gravity has come down to 1.032 from 1.100 which is the quickest I’ve had such a drop to date. Quick taste has a lot of sweetness still so I would like it to dry out a bit more before it finishes, and there are some quite pleasant liquorice flavours there which I didn’t plan but they are welcome. I’m not getting any sense of the estimated 65IBUs in there, maybe the planned coffee addition after fermentation may give some additional bitterness.

Following on from the last post, the beer came down to 1.029 and was stable there at 10 days so final abv is 10.3%.
Stepped the temperature down to cold crash and “dry beaned” with 100g of whole espresso beans for 48 hours and now I’ve moved it to another vessel to age. I had planned to leave it for a few months, that said, I’m not convinced it needs to be aged all that long, it’s really smooth and drinkable already. I don’t have a spare tap so it’s not going anywhere yet.

Latest posts

Back