35 litre stainless pots with lid very cheap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35473115...yqH8gRR0jzr4OWi3NQfXFqqZDmU4CkhAaAr7FEALw_wcB
Found these on ebay and at fifty quid a pop they are very good value. Make a cracking fermentation vessel or a boiler very easily and cheaply and much better than plastic buckets.
I hope you're right but I wouldn't be so sure. I had a look and the pictures didn't show any extra thick bottom nor does the blurb mention it. It's possibly just rolled. I'm not sure that 201 SS is sufficiently acid resistant for beer. Be sure you know what you're getting. Can you contact the vendor?
Further examination does mention a "thickened bottom".
I got a couple of dodgy stockpots that started to rust with just water in them Not from this source, I hasten to add.

Last edited:
I did have a look at the 201 steel and many folk have and do use them and used it with no problems and many internet experts saying don't use it so who knows. I'm not sure why a thick base would matter for fermenting or fitting a heating element through the side. Ahh it just dawned me that you are meaning putting a burner under the pot for boiling then no i wasn't thinking of using it for that. For fifty quid delivered and an equivalent 304 stainless pot costing around 200 quid then i think i will be giving one of these a go for fermenting in and see how long it lasts.

201 isn't the best, but it isn't top money.

It isn't rustproof, so you do have to pay attention to keeping it clean and dry.

You also find cheaper stainless sends to be reactive to contact with other metals. I have had this a few times. Leave a screwdriver tip on it overnight and the rust will mark a "silhouette" next day.. Which can be difficult to remove.

Fermentation probably OK.

Boiler nah. The fact this are soo thin makes mods hard. Cutting and not tearing is hard, welding is not an option really. Compression fittings tend buckle the remaining pot sides.

Very good for grain storage.. That's what mine does now 😁

201 isn't the best, but it isn't top money.

It isn't rustproof, so you do have to pay attention to keeping it clean and dry.

You also find cheaper stainless sends to be reactive to contact with other metals. I have had this a few times. Leave a screwdriver tip on it overnight and the rust will mark a "silhouette" next day.. Which can be difficult to remove.

Fermentation probably OK.

Boiler nah. The fact this are soo thin makes mods hard. Cutting and not tearing is hard, welding is not an option really. Compression fittings tend buckle the remaining pot sides.

Very good for grain storage.. That's what mine does now 😁
Ahh ok not good for a boiler then. I'm only thinking of using one for fermenting so fingers crossed it lasts for a while. I'm sick of when you take the lid from your plastic fermenter and you always get a whiff of stale smelly beer no matter how hard you clean them the whiff is always there absorbed by the plastic. I am hoping for a whiff free fermenter.

Back