80 bob recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next brew I'm planning is an 80 bob. For no reason beyond I've heard of it I was thinking of modelling it on Belhaven 80 bob. On their website it says it uses pale and black malts, in a couple of books they reckon it also has crystal and one says chocolate. I like the simplicity of just the two malts and I know there is no 'wrong' but does it need the crystal ?

🤔

This is the grain bill for my Scottish Export Ale that I made recently. It was very popular, I think it did benefit from the crystal malt.
What yeast are you using? I went with Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
Screenshot_20230730-165520.png

OK, I'll put some crystal in it. I don't have any wheat malt but I've got torrified wheat. Might just put that in.

I've got a pack of Mangrove Jack's Empire I was going to use, never got into liquid.

Hi guys sorry for being nosey but i'm just learning about different grains and it was just to ask with the likes of the crystal malt then what advantages does that bring to the brew? What does it do etc. Cheers

Hi guys sorry for being nosey but i'm just learning about different grains and it was just to ask with the likes of the crystal malt then what advantages does that bring to the brew? What does it do etc. Cheers

No need to apologise, all conversations are public on here and if you don't ask, you don't learn athumb..

I like the Graham Wheeler recipe for Belhaven 80/- in British Real Ale (for 25L):
3750g PA malt
320g white sugar
105g Crystal malt
64g black malt
Whitbread Holding hops (42g early, 14g late)
I use WLP013 Edinburgh Ale yeast

Haven't tried any others, but this works a treat.

It would be interesting to see if the sugar can be eliminated - but I rather like the flavour as it is.

Many older export and/or 80 shilling ales from before ww1 when they where stronger and started to darken a bit were often just Chevalier malt ( I suppose something like crisp or simpson vienna could work), maybe a few percent maize, occasionally a little crystal, and dark invert and a little chocolate or black malt.

I believe mcewans before the revival was just pale malt, mild malt, dark invert and a bit of chocolate malt and part gyled for their 80shilling and the strong ale.

Heres a recipe I came up with after a bit of research. I was aiming for something like McEwans Export, and this came out pretty close. There are link at the bottom of the brewfather recipe to the places I took inspiration from.

https://share.brewfather.app/qSpJkePX5mrXwx

I went with pale, crystal 100, black and torrified wheat in the end. It started fermenting really quick and has all but stopped now. Going to take a reading later on.
Even if it has finished fermenting leave it a week for the yeast to "clean up" and then after packaging leave it as long as you can resist temptation.

Latest posts

Back