AG#16 Yorkshire Square Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged this. FG was 1.010 giving 4.5%. Very happy with that. The taste is very malty with a hint of sweetness. Looking forward to this in a few weeks!

Morning CS,

I've just done the same and kegged the brew. Finished at 1.005 :shock:

Wasn't expecting this and hope it isn't too dry.

Wait and see time......

A

Hi Kev,

Probably more like FG 1.006 - 1.008 having checked a few times.

I was aiming for 1.042 OG but ended up with nearly 1.070 ! All got a bit frantic with AG1 but I liquored back to 'around' 1.045. Wasn't sure of my calcs this first time around and didn't want to water down too far.

So, best guess give or take a degree, 1.045 OG.

A

88% attenuation from a yeast that's only supposed to give 72% is pretty good.

I assume your mash temps were quite low?

K

Hi Kev,

Yes - I think you're spot on. I lost about 4 degrees over a one and a half hour mash so suspect I leached out more fermentable sugars. I could be out with the OG though; if anything it was probably a tad higher than 1.045.

As per my comments earlier in this thread, I've never used liquid yeast before, never used a yeast that has took off this quick and never had a yeast go on as long. Will be interested to see what AG#1 comes out like.

Cheers

A

Hi Carl,

I really do have to agree; looks a bit pricey at first but.... with 500g of dried malt I split the original vial into 10 small bottles.

Wasn't too confident on this first brew so used two bottles for the starter. Created a madman; my best starter ever.

So, potentially, I've got 8 brews worth left but I'll probably stick with the same process. So that's 5 brews from 1 vial; £1 something a go maybe plus a bit of malt ? Will not be looking back.............

The other thing about this Yorkshire Square is that it set like glue to the bottom of the fermentor; hardly a cloud of yeast when I syphoned off and I virtually tipped the bucket on it's side and captured every last drop.

Really impressed and thoroughly recommended :thumb:

A

Back