AG#6 Use What You Have

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
This is the sixth AG I've done and I still haven't tasted one of them yet! :???:

In the mash at the minute is:

MO 500g
Vienna 300g
Weyermann pale 225g
Caramunich I 100g

A bit of playing with the calculators suggests something in the English Special bitter area if I use:

EKG 10g @ 60
EKG 5g @ 15
Hersbrucker 5g @ 10
Hersbrucker 5g @ 0

Whether it ends up tasting ok I will have to see.

The Hersbrucker are only 2.1 AA, would anyone be tempted to maybe put 10g (or more) in at 0?

I did #6 too. Probably don't brew as frequently as you, as I've already finished off 3, and most of the way through the fourth. I did kits for many years and some kits can be good, but it's a bit hit and miss. All my AGs have been of very good quality; no homebrew touch at all and comparable with commercial. Then it comes down to style, as one wasn't really my type.

Your title caught my attention, because same thing happened to me. My first ingredients purchase was to meet the planned brews. Now I plan my brews to meet my remaining ingredients.

This is the sixth AG I've done and I still haven't tasted one of them yet! :???:

MO 500g
Vienna 300g
Weyermann pale 225g
Caramunich I 100g

A bit of playing with the calculators suggests something in the English Special bitter area if I use:

EKG 10g @ 60
EKG 5g @ 15
Hersbrucker 5g @ 10
Hersbrucker 5g @ 0

The Hersbrucker are only 2.1 AA, would anyone be tempted to maybe put 10g (or more) in at 0?

My understanding is that the Alpha content will not be an indicator of a hop's use as a 10 or 0 min hop. Saaz changed brewing practices for the big breweries and is around 2% as well.

As you are adding the equivalent of 125g of hops for a 5 gallon brew, it looks more than enough to me :thumb:

MO 500g
Vienna 300g
Weyermann pale 225g
Caramunich I 100g

EKG 10g @ 60
EKG 5g @ 15
Hersbrucker 5g @ 10
Hersbrucker 5g @ 0

How do you stop yourself tasting them? Open a couple of bottles, what could go wrong?

Back