AG#7 60 Minute IPA (Greg Hughes ish)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyD

Reaction score
Last night I had a go at making a slightly altered 60 minute IPA from Greg Hughes and thought I'd take some piccies for once, bit blurred and badly scaled but I blame the Chaplin's.

I altered the grain bill slightly and so instead of using 1.2kg of low colour pale I used 1kg of low colour and 200g of Caramunich I and I used dried yeast (S33) rather than liquid, other than that I pretty much just scaled down the recipe and followed it.

Here's the mash in progress, I used 3 litres of water (2 boiling and 1 cold) and then got it to around 71°C and then added the grain. So far I've done all my mashing on the cooker top with no lid on, stirring fairly frequently and turning the heat on and off as required to mash somewhere in the mid 60s. Not sure why put had more trouble keeping things at temperature last night so had to keep my eye on things on a bit more.

For sparging I used 5 litres of water and there it is sitting in my jam pot getting to/keeping at around 77°C.

SPARGE.jpg

The next piccy will show why I'm almost 100% sure I will end up moving to BIAB in the very near future. I get the mash up to around 77°C and then split it up and sparge I wash the mash pot out and then the wort goes back into that. I then put the wort into the now empty jam pot so I can have a check on the volume and pour it back through a strainer into the mash pot for boiling. I'm not sure if that will sound like a ridiculous way of going about things, if it does don't hold back.

SPARGE_PROC.jpg

I got the 7 litres I wanted for the boil and then turned the heat up and while waiting for the hot break I sorted the hops out. There are lots of additions for this recipe and I was left in the position of needing 1.5g of hops when my digital scales only don't do parts of a gram - might have given me an idea for Father's Day that.

BOILVOL.jpg

HOPS.jpg

Everything went as it should and so the pot goes into the sink with some ice blocks and regularly changed cold water to cool down to about 18°C before pitching. Ended up with as full a DJ as I wanted which was good.

COOL_DOWN.jpg

FULL_DJ.jpg

Took a sample and the OG was higher than predicted and I decided to leave things as they were. If I hadn't already filled the DJ and pitched I might have added some water but I read the sample after rather than before so I left it alone. I tasted the sample and I have to say it was really nice so I've got high hopes for this batch , hopefully not famous last words.

image.jpg

Wrapped it all up in a variety of bubble wrap and jumpers and put it in an old fridge in the garage (switched off) with a blow off on. Finished a bit later than normal due to a later start but was only a touch after 10 so had managed to watch football and do a brew without getting any grief at all.

Back