AG#s 4 & 5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
Been a bit lazy and not written up my last 2 brew days so am bunging them together in one thread.

AG #3 was done on 23rd August. I decided after my full batch brew of the HBC Hobble Wobble kit the previous week, that I would do a small batch of about 10litres with some grain I had left over and some of my increasingly large stock of opened hop packs in the freezer. The Wadworth JCB recipe in the Graham Wheeler book fitted the bill so I scaled it down and set off. The only difference from a standard type AG BIAB brew was the addition of a 10g hop infusion in 1 litre of boiling water. This stood for an hour before being added in at flame out.

The suggested OG was 1048 and I managed to get 1052 from the 10litre volume left at the end of the boil. I used Muntons Gold Premium yeast as I had a spare pack left.

It's been in the FV for just over 2 weeks now and the gravity is down to 1011 (1012 is suggested FG in the recipe). I have just had the obligatory taste from the sample jar and it is absolutely lovely. There's still a malty sweetness to it and a real depth of flavour. Tastes like a proper English Ale, so I am well pleased. Will be bottling on Thursday if I get the chance.

On to AG#4. Fancied something that wouldn't take long to condition so went for a Patersbier which was brewed on Sunday.
This time the recipe is from the Greg Hughes book and I went the whole hog and did a 23l version. (Although I got the water calculation wrong and ended up with only 20L).

Mashing went well with me learning from previous brews and setting my strike water to 75c as I seem to lose quite a lot of temperature when stirring the grist in. This time I hit my 66c goal and finished up only losing 3degrees during the mash.
OG ended up at 1057 which is too high for me and as I only had 18 litres at this point I added a further 2 litres of cooled boiled water to dilute things down a bit. As you will see from one of the photos below I had already consumed 1 bottle of a previous batch and I forgot to take a reading again.

Anyway, it's bubbling away in the kitchen now with a nice thick Krausen on top so I'm happy.
Hot break pic below.

Cheers

image.jpg

I used the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity and 4.5KG of Pilsner malt. Hops were Saatz and Hallertauer Mittlelfruh.

Massive Krausen now and lovely smell coming through the airlock.

image.jpg

I used the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity and 4.5KG of Pilsner malt. Hops were Saatz and Hallertauer Mittlelfruh.

Massive Krausen now and lovely smell coming through the airlock.

Looks good. That yeast is pretty explosive isn't it. It's climbed out the FV every time I've used it.

Latest posts

Back