Amarillo Smash Brew Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stout Brewing

Reaction score
Afternoon!

After only ever brewing stouts, I thought it would be interesting to have a crack at something pale. Got a bit of time on my hands, so thinking to start with the below recipe and then tweak and build. Any feedback on initial recipe would be great!

ALSO...speedy delivery from Malt Miller.

Amarillo Smash V1
1 gallon batch

Grain
1100g Maris Otter

Hop Additions
60 mins - 4g Amarillo
15 mins - 10g Amarillo
0 mins - 15g Amarillo

Yeast
Mangrove Jacks Strong Ale Yeast

Mash
65 degrees for 60 mins

Running all through the Brewfather app (and if I hit numbers) gives a 5% pale ale with an IBU of 40.

Thanks gang!

Last edited:
I've never used that particular yeast, but love marris otter and amarillo. I've not used the two of them together, but would expect good results from the two in a smash.
I have an order due to be delivered today that has some amarillo in it. I don't have any concrete plans for it, but I'm thinking maybe I should get some m o soon.

Looks good to me. I love Amarillo, it’s a really juicy hop. I’d be tempted to put 5-10g/L into the fermenter as a dry hop addition. It seems like a lot but it really pushes the aroma to the next level.

I’d also suggest using something relatively neutral for bittering like Magnum instead of the Amarillo, and add the 4g of Amarillo you save to the 0min addition... but obviously it wouldn’t be a SMaSH anymore if that’s important to you.

Thanks @Session - read this reply after brew day yesterday but planning to re-brew this several times with small tweaks to get a real understanding so will take both suggestions into consideration!

Successful brew day, it's now bubbling away like a good'n in the cupboard!

Latest posts

Back