Another Raspberry wine, WOW style.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike383838

Reaction score
I got some cheap juice from Asda today for another Moley special with the Polish Malina Raspberry syrup as the main Ingredient.

Here goes:

Ingredient:-.............................................Sugar(gms)........Price
1 litre Princess Apple Juice (FC).......................104...............£0.80
1 litre O'Spray Rasp/Black & Cranberry (FC).........141...............£1.00
1 litre Tesco's white grape juice (FC).................156...............£1.00
500g Sugar...............................................500...............£0.50
1 tsp Pectolase.............................................................£0.10
1/2 tsp Tannin.............................................................£0.10
2 Vit B1 Tabs...............................................................£0.05
Squeeze of 1/2 lemon....................................10..............£0.15
1/2 litre Mineral water.....................................................£0.05
Youngs super wine Yeast..................................................£0.20

To add after one week
440ml of Malina Raspberry syrup......................286..............£1.29

Total.....................................................1197..............£5.24 or 87p a bottle

Fermcalc says it will be about SG 1.101 and that should make a 13.4% wine at 4.5 litres

Just a small variation on the last one I did. Heres hoping it makes a nice rose.
RoseWOW.jpg

Day 2

Yippes, Breach breach breach. Not even going that fast yet and its trying to escape. And there was 1 litre of headroom. Must be something in this one that a little thick because it was in the airlock this morning and had obviously settled down again. Changed the airlock and we are back to the waiting game.

Day 4

Pitched the Malina Raspberry last night and got another volcano. cleaned up this morning, and its ticking away nicely.

At about 18 Deg C

forgive me for asking some questions but im new to this , if i was to make a white wine would i only need 4.5 litres of grape juice ? and do i need to add finings and a clearing solution to finish it off , and how long till it is ready to drink ?

DeanoD said:
forgive me for asking some questions but im new to this , if i was to make a white wine would i only need 4.5 litres of grape juice ? and do i need to add finings and a clearing solution to finish it off , and how long till it is ready to drink ?

You'd need two litres of grape juice and 800g-1kg of sugar. Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179 the recipe uses white grape juice and orange juice but you can substitute the juices as you like. Should be tasty about two months from brewday :)

jayjt29 said:
Hi, mate, did you boil the Malina?

Cheers
Jay

You don't need to boil the malina as it doesn't contain any preservative. I used it to make raspberryade and it mentioned on the thread that it didn't need boiling for that reason.

DeanoD said:
So if you want to make a white wine then just make the original WOW with orange juice and white grape juice. Its not an orange wine in the end, its like a Chardonnay colour and you dont taste the orange the way you think you would, it just tastes like a normal white Chardonnay without the oak flavour which you could add if you wished.

I don't think it would be nice with just the grape juice, you need the mix of grape and one other fruit juice from my reading. The Orange gives it the closest to that zingy white wine flavour. Hence the most popular recipe on here or variations thereof.
stevie1556 said:
jayjt29 said:
Hi, mate, did you boil the Malina?

Cheers
Jay
You don't need to boil the malina as it doesn't contain any preservative. I used it to make raspberryade and it mentioned on the thread that it didn't need boiling for that reason.

Stevie is correct about the malina I just pour it in and it goes nuts, because it is pasteurised and not chemically preserved.

Day 60

Bottled tonight and had a taste, this is by far the best rose I have made yet. Loads of vinosity. Very smooth and dry but no dry aftertaste. I'm putting this one on my brew list for sure, the raspberry came out really subtle and it reminds me of a dry Mateus Rose. This one is a winner and compares to the original WOW perfectly. I'm maybe going to do a 25L of this one next time.
:cheers:

mike383838 said:
Day 60

Bottled tonight and had a taste, this is by far the best rose I have made yet. Loads of vinosity. Very smooth and dry but no dry aftertaste. I'm putting this one on my brew list for sure, the raspberry came out really subtle and it reminds me of a dry Mateus Rose. This one is a winner and compares to the original WOW perfectly. I'm maybe going to do a 25L of this one next time.
:cheers:

Sounds lovely that does Mike! Think ill give this a go when i have a demijohn spare!

I opened another bottle of this tonight, is fantastic, it has the taste of a WOW but slightly fruitier and no aftertaste for a dry wine. Def the best yet for me. I made loads of these with different recipes that turned out OK and some a little synthetic. This one is a winner and I think its right up there with the original WOW but unlike the WOW it has a very smooth finish. Now I know why I've got into this. A Winner!!!!

Back