Anyone got any comments on grainfather conical fermenter insulation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philshares

Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone have any advice or reflective comments on the insulation available for the grainfather conical fermenters. I see there seems to be 2 available…..one as a semi jacket with separate piece for the bottom cone section and the other looks like a complete jacket insulating the whole of the fermenter. I didn’t know if anyone has used either and if they have any thoughts about the pro’s or con’s
I’m fermenting in the garage atm and the temp seems to be fluctuating a lot due to cold overnight temperatures. Didn’t know if insulating the fermenter with a jacket may help to achieve a more consistent temperature
Thanks
Phil

I've the "semi-jacket". But ferment in a conservatory kept no lower than 12C (now kept no lower than 8C but I haven't brewed under those conditions).

It keeps the temperature fairly constant but a third component - a "hat" - wouldn't go amiss (a towel must do the job). Not just to keep heat in, but keep it cool too (problem fermenting in a glass house - the "hat" would be mainly for that as the top gets exceedingly hot when the sun shines).

But "consistent" isn't perhaps the best description: Being tall and narrow with the temperature probe at the base, there can be big differences of temperature top and bottom (a floating "Tilt" hydrometer in mine records the top). Perhaps 2C difference, but much more than that when not actively fermenting (not a fault unique to a GF).

I don't believe you'll need the thicker one in the climate we have in the UK.

I've used both together and separately, they work in a cold/hot garage to keep the temp at fermentation or chilling temps, in winter when it is really cold I also threw an old sleeping bag over the whole lot. You do get condensate inside when chillling, less so with the neoprene and jacket together but the jacket flaps can be opened to allow some air circulation. Overall it was worth the expenditure and did the job. The base and top can be unzipped from the main body. Washing and drying the jacket is easy and it is mostly the base that needs washing.

If you need a quick fix then any duvet, sleeping bag, blankets will help to keep the heat in and prevent fluctuations, preferably bungee'd around.

I've the "semi-jacket". But ferment in a conservatory kept no lower than 12C (now kept no lower than 8C but I haven't brewed under those conditions).

It keeps the temperature fairly constant but a third component - a "hat" - wouldn't go amiss (a towel must do the job). Not just to keep heat in, but keep it cool too (problem fermenting in a glass house - the "hat" would be mainly for that as the top gets exceedingly hot when the sun shines).

But "consistent" isn't perhaps the best description: Being tall and narrow with the temperature probe at the base, there can be big differences of temperature top and bottom (a floating "Tilt" hydrometer in mine records the top). Perhaps 2C difference, but much more than that when not actively fermenting (not a fault unique to a GF).
May I ask how the piece around the cone at the bottom attaches?

I'm in the process of putting my GF conical into use, and I have a roll of 10mm neoprene, so figured it would be better to make my own jacket rather than than buy one.

Good point about creating a 'sun hat' - mine will be by a window and the sun shines straight onto it first thing in the morning.

Velcro!

Sun hats would be a fine addition, in a conservatory (the ultimate "big window") the top gets too hot to bear your hand against. Can't be good for the top fermenting yeast inside.

Hi
Does anyone have any advice or reflective comments on the insulation available for the grainfather conical fermenters. I see there seems to be 2 available…..one as a semi jacket with separate piece for the bottom cone section and the other looks like a complete jacket insulating the whole of the fermenter. I didn’t know if anyone has used either and if they have any thoughts about the pro’s or con’s
I’m fermenting in the garage atm and the temp seems to be fluctuating a lot due to cold overnight temperatures. Didn’t know if insulating the fermenter with a jacket may help to achieve a more consistent temperature
Thanks
Phil
What are you fermenting? I am thinking temperature range.

I am a fan of lots of insulation, I brew outside all year, and good insulation saves money.

An inkbird and a 60w stick-on heat pad is very good solution. Sleeping bags fit most fermentation vessels.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back