Anyone used welch's juice to make a WOW?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all, as title really, picked up 4x1ltr Welch's white grape and peach juices this afternoon for ��£2. I've made stacks of WOWS so thought I might have a go with these. I know they are low on pure content but I would probably chuck all 4 in a demi rather than my usual 2.
Anyone had a go with these??

IMG_20161006_155527.jpg

:thumb:I'll just add more sugar than usual up to my 1000g total for a demi.

At 8% juice per carton i think you would need a lot more than 4.

A normal juice wine (WOW) contains 2 litres of 100% juice watered down to 4 litres so is 50% juice, it is then topped up with half a litre of juice to finish.

The juice content in those is extremely low, 80ml per litre giving you 320ml for 4l worth, typically in a WoW you need to look to have 2l worth of juice minimum, you may well end up adding some grape juice concentrate to "thicken" it up a bit as you have almost 3.7 litres worth of water.

Another issue you might have is the sweetener added, they do this to make up for the lack of pure juice and natural sweetness, how much is added will be unfermentable and will end up as sweet as it is before fermentation, if you like drier tasting wines then you won't get it from using those.

Go for a litre of 100% grape juice then add anything else to it, try to add more of the second juice if the % juice per carton is less than 100%.

I bought it as an experiment really, and at £2 for 4ltr its no biggy if it ends up down the sink. My wife likes peach and medium not dry wine so we'll see.. On the other hand if it turns out good then bonus..
I've got another 3 tried and tested WOWS on the go so not going to run low.

I bought it as an experiment really, and at �£2 for 4ltr its no biggy if it ends up down the sink. My wife likes peach and medium not dry wine so we'll see.. On the other hand if it turns out good then bonus..
I've got another 3 tried and tested WOWS on the go so not going to run low.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. If you like it great! If SHE likes it then deep joy and even better!!! If it needs binning then so be it! - :mrgreen:

I've made a white using a litre of this and 250g of sultanas, came out fine, could clearly taste peach, but I could taste the sweetner bitterness which I didn't like the misses could only taste the slight sweetness of the sweetner. So depends on your sensitivity to the sweetner if you'll like or not.

I've got an experimental one on the go with 3 of these and 1L white grape (waitrose for that one), still got a bit to go yet tho

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back