Attempting to brew something like the Cross Borders Heavy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found it difficult to obtain any information about this beer which I like a lot except that it uses Bramling Cross,
So going for an all grain brew - 65% pale ale malt, 16% dark munich, 8% biscuit malt, 8% Belgium aromatic malt and 3% Carafe special III
UK Challenger at 60 minutes for 8.7 IBU, and 15 minutes for 6.7 IBU, Bramling Cross at 15 minutes for 5.7 IBU and then whirlpool 24g
Probably use Brewlab Thames Valley 1 yeast
Any views?

I haven’t had the beer, but Brewlab do a borders slope so not clear why you wouldn’t choose that?

The brewery mentions “crystal and caramel malts” ie at least 2 and you don’t have any in your recipe. If you have Greg Hughes book then the 80 shilling may be a good starting point.

Also worth asking the brewery if you haven’t as they will often help.

Thanks for the advice - I hadn't seen the description of the malts so that is very useful. I looked at the description in The Malt Miller for the Scottish Ale Yeast slope and it said that it can produce a sulphur flavoured beer, which worried me a little.
I will contact the brewery and repost if I hear anything from them.

Latest posts

Back