Barrelling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACEKOS

Beer lover!
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m quite new to brewing, after a bit of advice. I’m transferring from my fermenting tub to a king keg, is it worth priming or force carbonating or both? Also I usually use gelatin to clear my beer, is it cool just to add it to the keg at that point? Thanks in advance.

Should have added, I usually clear the beer after dry hopping then bottle but moved over to using Keg

You will need to do at least one to get the beer out of the keg. I add isinglass suspension and about 80g of glucose straight into the king keg while the beer is running into it out of the FV and add gas only when the king keg is probably 1/2 - 2/3 empty and the beer isn't dispensing as lively as it should be.

Would it not be easier to add irish moss or a Camden tablet in the last ten minutes of the boil, for clearing?

I have never used a plastic keg so can't advise on the rest.

Would it not be easier to add irish moss or a Camden tablet in the last ten minutes of the boil, for clearing?

I have never used a plastic keg so can't advise on the rest.
Irish moss or Whirfloc tablet perhaps.

Campden tablet to the water pre starting to get rid of chlorine / chloramine.

@ACEKOS Time will clear your beer if you can wait.

@ACEKOS

As you say you are new to Homebrewing.
This thread useful on your king keg experience

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...-you-wanted-to-know.89344/page-7#post-1011557

As per room with a brew , excellent advise and time is your friend in brewing until you have enough experience

Irish moss or Whirfloc tablet perhaps.

Campden tablet to the water pre starting to get rid of chlorine / chloramine.
My bad. Doh! I have that many chemicals for beer, sometimes it's easy to get mixed up.

Yeah, Whirlfloc or Protofloc. Not sure which one I have. I was always an Irish Moss kind of guy.

Me too until I was given about 40 whirlfloc tablets. Since then half a tablet near the end of boil.
Not sure what I'll use once I've finished them. Not sure I've noticed much difference.
Yeah, if there is a difference, I haven't noticed it. I suppose tablets are handier than trying to measure out 2g of moss.

Latest posts

Back