Batch priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppedin

Reaction score
Evening all
Hope you are all well.
Looking for advice, please
Ready to bottle my latest batch of Pilsner ( 5 gallon ).
My first batch was far too carbonated as I previously posted, and having got some amazing replies, realised I had added way too much sugar to each bottle.
Would it be a good idea to make a sugar solution and add it to the barrel? And if so, what would you advise?
I am looking for a gentle fizz.
Unlike the last time, where I was getting approx 1 pint per two 500ml bottles
Thank you in advance

Regards - Chris

Use one of the many calculators to work it out. Dissolve the sugar in some sterile hot water and gently stir in to your bottling bucket. Here’s an example from brewfather for 23L (5 uk gallons approx)

B1E269EA-771A-47FB-BEEC-900E321DAF58.jpeg

I use about 120-160g os wilkos brewing sugar for 21 litres - 160g for wheat beers and less for other styles.

I tried for the first time to syringe the same sugar solution I would usually put in a bottling bucket into individual bottles 18ml of solution per litre (360ml water and 120-160g of sugar. so my 330's got 6ml solution into each bottle and my 500's got 9ml. The syring fits in the neck of the bottle so no sticky mess compared to trying to get undissolved sugar in.

It felt more of a faff but it was quicker because no second bucket to clear or transfer beer to.

Latest posts

Back