Bavarian Hefe Weizen.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross1974

Absolute Beerginer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just starting this one.
Waiting on the Boil.

Just a quick question. Last beer, an IPA, didn't look anything like this at this stage. This is at 81c, on the way up. Look OK?

Attachments

• 20230912_203333.jpg
    20230912_203333.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2
Couple of minutes later. Boiling. Once it gets to 83 it shoots up in temp.

Attachments

• 20230912_203821.jpg
    20230912_203821.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 16945475703539029092967921287278.jpg
    16945475703539029092967921287278.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi, it'll likely be the wheat making it look like that as it comes up to the boil. I often think wheat makes it smell more Horlicks like than usual.

I think the boiling point of typical gravity wort is something like 100.2C, only a little increase over 100C due to the sugars, so it won't get higher than that

Thanks for the responses. It does at the moment, smell fantastic. left it to cool overnight, but it is still at 40c this morning. Will it be ok for a few more hours, or best to quick cool it now?

The quicker you cool and pitch, the lower the risk of anything unwanted taking hold before the yeast gets going.

That said, you can mitigate the risk in various ways - sterilised no chill cubes and the like work well.

At this point, I'd query the benefit of trying to cool quicker - depending on your method. I brewed at the weekend and using tap water through my counter flow chiller could only get the wort down to about 26C. I stuck it in the brew fridge, sealed and waited for it to drop from there.

If you are confident the wort is sealed up and not at risk, I'd leave it there and let it fall to pitch over the course of the morning.

Well its sealed up and airlocked, obviously as it cools, it will draw air in, but it is a worry that it will pul something else alongside this. I'll get it pitched as soon as possible though.

Well its sealed up and airlocked, obviously as it cools, it will draw air in, but it is a worry that it will pul something else alongside this. I'll get it pitched as soon as possible though.
Don't worry about pulling other things in with air as it cools. As long as it's not filthy or dusty or full of spiders then nothing significant will get sucked in.

Your wort already contains a small amount of bugs,, bacteria, wild yeast etc that has survived the boil - this is why we call it sanitising rather than sterilising. The important part is that these "nasties" are in a tiny quantity compared with the large amount of yeast you add. The yeast will very easily outcompete the other organisms when fermenting and the other organisms' impact will be of such negligible amounts that it won't affect the end beer in any noticeable way. Exactly the same will be true for anything that gets pulled into your beer with the air as it cools.

Relax, don't worry. 🍻

Don't worry about pulling other things in with air as it cools. As long as it's not filthy or dusty or full of spiders then nothing significant will get sucked in.

Your wort already contains a small amount of bugs,, bacteria, wild yeast etc that has survived the boil - this is why we call it sanitising rather than sterilising. The important part is that these "nasties" are in a tiny quantity compared with the large amount of yeast you add. The yeast will very easily outcompete the other organisms when fermenting and the other organisms' impact will be of such negligible amounts that it won't affect the end beer in any noticeable way. Exactly the same will be true for anything that gets pulled into your beer with the air as it cools.

Relax, don't worry. 🍻
Thats great to hear to be honest. Thanks for the confirmation. Was about to head home and get it cooling, but I'll let it drop over the morning and get to it this afternoon.

Wort was sampled at 1.048 this morning.

Latest posts

Back