Beekeeper wants to make Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark young

Reaction score
Good Day.
Trying not to bore you with the details; I am a beekeeper interested in creating my own mead and haven’t really got a clue where to start.
I have already discovered Col. RN Harrison’s recipe and will likely try to recreate that one as others have before me! (See if I can get permission to name it ‘Harrisons Tribute’) I will be using all my own honey which is quite exciting; I just lack the essential equipment to get started – as in I have none whatsoever…
I am sure I will find a supplier recommendation when I look hard enough on here but welcome as much direction as possible. I am outlandishly hopeless when using the interweb.

Hi, and welcome along.

The only basic ingredients you need are big bottles (demijohns - although 5L water bottles work as well), airlocks, a syphon tube and some bottles.

A hydrometer is useful to measure the gravity (sugaryness of the liquid) before and after fermentation, so you know if it has finished fermenting, and also how strong the end product is.

Have a search on the forum for mead - there are quite a few threads relating to it, and there is a recipe for Orange mead on my blog (see below) which might be of interest. It produces quite a dry mead, but I rather like it.

I am about to make some of "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead". Really simply and needs minimal equipment. I also have a good PDF if you would like me to email it to you.

Simon.

TheRandyRedcoat said:
I am about to make some of "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead". Really simply and needs minimal equipment. I also have a good PDF if you would like me to email it to you.

Simon.

I can recommend Joe's Ancient Orange to anyone who finds an interest in mead making. It's not the best mead you can make, but its really easy and uses good and only natural ingredients. You will be really surprised by its pleasant taste! After brewing this, you will understand what mead is all about, which allows you to easily experiment with ingredients, and make your own recipes.

If you want a good book to start off with, i can recommend this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compleat-Meadma ... =meadmaker

The first batch of mine was a JAO, and it was far superior to the mead available in the shops here in Norway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I just sent a list of equipment required to one of the suppliers in the link and asked for a quote. Hopefully shouldn't be too long now before I get a response and be able to go collect my new toys.

Then at some point I will have to take part in the Cork vs Screw Top debate

Thanks again I will be sure to check out the links.

Welcome to the form.

I have a JAOM and it is very nice. I have also made a Raspberry Melomel which needs more conditioning and I will link when I a no my computer.

A great place to research is the GotMead forum. There is a wealth of information there. The key things I have noticed are: Stepped nutrient additions, aeration till the first sugar break and stir without aerating till the second break (to re suspend yeast). Following these will get your mead to finish in a couple of week rather than months.

Makes it sound more complicated than it really is.

alanywiseman said:
Welcome to the form.

I have a JAOM and it is very nice. I have also made a Raspberry Melomel which needs more conditioning and I will link when I a no my computer.

A great place to research is the GotMead forum. There is a wealth of information there. The key things I have noticed are: Stepped nutrient additions, aeration till the first sugar break and stir without aerating till the second break (to re suspend yeast). Following these will get your mead to finish in a couple of week rather than months.

Makes it sound more complicated than it really is.

HERE is the thread for my Raspberry Melomel. I made a traditional mead then added raspberries to back sweeten and keep as much of the aroma as possible.

I would always start with a SG 1.090 and add 1/3 of the nutrient at the start. Add another 1/3 after the lag phase (so when you start seeing physical signs of fermentation. Aerate the must everyday till you reach 1.060. Gently stir the to rouse the yeast till 1.030 and add the the final 1/3rd of nutrient. At this point seal it up and let it finish and jobs done. Leave it to mature then bottle :thumb:

Let us know how you get on with it :thumb:

Thanks again...

Equipment and additives now purchased "Yipee" All that's missing is my Honey which I shall take off after the Himalayan Balsalm stops coming in like its going out of fashion. (Or if the weather looks like its turning)

I have also acquired 14 x 1 Gallon rather dirty old D/J's from a yocal which will be used for a variety of whatever is growing in the hedgrow wines... I have already picked 5lbs Damsons, 4Lb Blackberries and am going back out to pick more this weekend. Then sunday will be brew day mark 1.

Now I do not need 14 D/J's so is there a place I can advertise a few of them on here or swap them for something inconsequential... Bottle of Homebrew, Paper Hat, Cup of Tea, Holiday in Barbados, etc.

I live in Goudhurst. Kent.

mark young said:
Now I do not need 14 D/J's

Don't speak too soon. I have 15 and sometimes only 3 are empty.
Especially as mead takes a long time to mature - you might be racking it to clean demi when the ferment's done then leaving it for a year (or more). My first meads are just getting really nice at nearly 2 years old. A gallon of mead takes maybe 1.5kg of honey, if your bees are prolific you might be making quite a bit.
Plus, when you clean the demis up, you may find you have to dump some due to damaged glass.

14 DJ's is nice, I have about 16 myself

some country wines will require to age for long periods
and ageing in bulk is reportedly better.

a good example is elderberry, this can take years / decades to age

I would hang onto the DJ's :thumb:

as for cleaning, soak them in a bath of soda crystals or oxy for a few hours
then wash and sterilise them, they will be like new

for really stubborn deposits use rice with water or vinegar
and give it a good shake, the rice will be like an abrasive scourer

don't use boiling water, you will weaken the glass
nobody likes the bottom dropping out on a full Demi !

Thanks for the tips but I also have 6 x 5 gallon D/J's so I figure 6 Large and 10 small will be fine for me.

Not sure I will make many small batches as I keep reading on the forums that it only takes twice as long to make 5 x the amount. :grin:

To that end I am offering away 4 small D/J's in the right forum now. Unless no one wants them of course.

you can always rack the large DJ's to the small ones
and still age in bulk :-)

but I am sure someone here will gladly take them off your hands

I would love them but SWMBO would have my balls for breakfast if I get any more

Funny thing was I was going to ask if I could make a basic mead batch in a 5 Gallon then syphon to 5 smaller ones and add various flavours at that stage, such as topping up with squeezed juices etc.

Truth be told I did have the "I think 10 small and 6 big D/J's is plenty" discussion!!!

mark young said:
Funny thing was I was going to ask if I could make a basic mead batch in a 5 Gallon then syphon to 5 smaller ones and add various flavours at that stage, such as topping up with squeezed juices etc.

Some flavours don't survive fermentation well, so the ferment->split&flavour idea is good.
I'm shortly going to have a go at the Col R N Harrison mead but am thinking I may hold back some of the spices until the main ferment is over

Latest posts

Back