Beer Temp for Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
Quick question re bulk priming as my beers seem to vary so much in carbonation.

I am using priming calculators to work out my priming rate and they are asking for the beer temp. As I have cold crashed the beer should I enter the current cold crashed temp (5c) or the temp it fermented at (18c)

I wonder if this is why some beers are more carbed than others.

Thanks

Current temperature. This is a sheet that came from the Production Manager of Thornbridge Brewery.

EDIT: To clarify. Current temperature is the point at which you prime and bottle, which should be the highest stable temperature it reached post fermentation. As the beer needs to be warm to bottle condition, there's little point priming at 5c. Let the beer warm to a stable temperature and bring a little yeast up for priming. Then rack to your bottling vessel, prime and bottle.

Attachments

• DSC_0012-01.jpeg
    DSC_0012-01.jpeg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry to muddy the waters, but it was my understanding that you should enter the highest temperature your beer reached during fermentation.

The idea being that it CO2 will come out of solution as the temperature increases
The higher the temps it got to, the less CO2 retained in solution at the end of fermentation.

https://www.morebeer.com/content/priming_sugar_calculator

Back