Beerworks president Sierra hop addition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All, I've been busy with work and forget to add the citra hops to my president Sierra. Its currently been in the FV for 10 days but instructions say day 5. It also says crush hops in a jug and add 500ml of boiling water, carry on crushing for 2 minutes then spoon hops only into FV leaving liquid behind. Can I ask what difference it makes adding them this way as opposed to just throwing them in.

To be honest your probably better off adding the hops now rather than at day 5. At 5 days fermentation could still be quite active and the CO2 being produced could easily drive off the aroma you're trying to achieve by adding the hops. With any of these sorts of kits I tend to let it ferment for 14 days, then add the hops for 2-3 days, cold crash for a day or two, then keg.

As for steeping them in boiling water, I do this if the instructions say so, theory is that just adding them as a dry hop imparts mostly aroma to the end product, steeping in boiling water AKA hop tea brings flavour out of them too so you taste in more in the end product.

Some of the Beerworks kits come with leaf hops so do need a bit of breaking up to get the best out of them, pellets however will just break up easily on their own when boiling water is added. I also don't faff around spooning out only the hops as once it's steeped it just a sludgy mix anyway so just check the whole lot in.

Latest posts

Back