Beginners Sour.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, using Philly sour, is it as simple as brewing a hazy IPA that I like and then using the Philly yeast?

Then don’t use the Fermentor for non sour beers aaagain?

Thanks for the replies all.
It won't be hazy for long with Philly sour.

Also the philly sour yeast is outcompeted by normal yeasts very quickly so standard sanitise will destroy it. If you plan to add yeast do this after a few days because the pH will have dropped by then. Day 4 would be fine to add the second yeast. I did this for a sour IPA recipe using opshaug kveik as the second yeast. Very clear beer.

Here is the recipe for my Lime Gose which a few forum members tried and liked.

You could use this as a starting point to make your own recipe if you would like?
Hi Tess

I going to give this a try using passion fruit purée instead of lime.

Do you let the beer ferment using the Philly sour and then rack off into another FV and add the passionfruit?

If so, how long do you leave it and I assume you don’t add anything else at that point (yeast etc)

Hi Tess

I going to give this a try using passion fruit purée instead of lime.

Do you let the beer ferment using the Philly sour and then rack off into another FV and add the passionfruit?

If so, how long do you leave it and I assume you don’t add anything else at that point (yeast etc)
I've replied to your PM.

Back