Belgian hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I received a birthday present of 8 bottles or cans per month of world beers from Beer52 just as Covid started. Although I brew my own ale, I find it interesting to get beers I can't get locally delivered, and it makes me drink ale I wouldn't drink by choice.

This month is Belgian month, and in it is a Belgian IPA , its bloody lovely.

I think it's by Brouwerij Lekker, and it appears to be 50/50 pale and munich malt, with EKG, Merkur, greene bel, and challenger hops.

I was looking to make an IPA after the next brew so may make something similar. I've never heard of Merkur or Greene (groene) bel hops before.

Merkur is also called Hallertau Merkur and doesn't seem to be readily available over here and Magnum is the usual substitute. Groene Bel doesn't seem to have a direct substitute, it was pushed aside by Saaz and lower IBU Hallertau varieties so seems to be a rarely used old Belgian hop. I could just use Saaz or Hallertau Mittelfrau but wondered if anybody knew a better substitute? Its about 4.9% AA and has a high humulene content.

Cheers
Andy

Yes, Merkur and Magnum have the same characteristics. I once had a package of Magnum, at 10% AA I used it a long time. Then I bought 0.5kg Merkur hops a year or three ago, and I have still 300 grams lying around. Merkur seems to have a bit more aroma as I gathered from some information (I have used it as a single hop in saison with good results).

Groene Belle seems a real difficult one to substitute, because it is (was) apparently a real Belgian speciality hop, created by selective refinement of different hop plants in Aalst.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, but AIUI it's derived from Aalst hops which were lower-quality red bines.

If I had to pick one of the reasonably-available varieties to replace it then I'd choose Fuggles, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

That's good to know guys, I have Magnum and Fuggles in stock.

Last two brews until the Autumn will be a "Belgian" style IPA and a dark mild. I'll then have around10 cornies and 200 bottles, should last me until then... :)

Latest posts

Back