bench capper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have bought a Ferrari super agata capper I think it is. Used it for the first time today and sorted the bottles so there was just 2 sizes, kopperberg and bulmers bottles.

The paper work said lower onto the bottle with the button pressed then when the lever is pulled the height will be right. Like this the lever goes all the way down but the bottles don't come out easily, the bell is slightly too low and its hard to get the next bottle in with moving the height up and back down.

Then I used it on the next setting higher which was easier getting the bottles in and out but the lever doesn't go completely down.

Also noticed the ends of the caps are slightly flared compared to using the old twin handled capper, althought they seem ttight. But I'll see when they have carbed up.

So which way should I be using the capper? Thanks

Hmmmmmm I have a real problem with those kopperberg bottles, though that's with my hand capper. :? I think the neck profile is a little strange.

Neck shouldn't matter with a bench capper. Weird though they was the best with my wilko hand capper.
Its more the bottle height setting/lever motion I'm unsure off.

I think mine's a Colt rather than a Ferrari but they sound similar.
I set the height to the lowest I can still slide a bottle under.
The bell is flared on mine too, this I think is so you can lever the bottle out without breaking the seal again - I rotate 45degrees and reseal JustInCase
If you have it set too high the lever has to come too far down and may not complete the seal

Oh yes, sorry Dan. I see what you mean. Sounds like you need to experiment .......... perhaps on some empty ones :geek:

Ob does your lever go full travel when height is high enough to slide a bottle in? Or do you just press down hard enough that it seals as I did.
Does yours have any play at all? Like a small movement before the bell starts going down.

I gave a few of the bottles a good shake too and there was no noise or hissing, so they seem to be sealed.

danb said:
Ob does your lever go full travel when height is high enough to slide a bottle in? Or do you just press down hard enough that it seals as I did.
Does yours have any play at all? Like a small movement before the bell starts going down.

Well the arm that does the pushing is totally free, but the thing it pushes is internally sprung somehow so I /think/ you get the arm all the way down when it makes the seal.
I can kinda feel it thunk to a no-more-down-available thing
I never have more than 1/4" gap between bottletop and bell

Maybe I should have lubed the bell up, I'll give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back