Best place / time to buy grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all
After much, much, much reading and a lot of time spent watching YouTube reviews I’ve decided to make the jump to all grain and purchase a grainfather.
I’ve done a few all grain batches (on the hob) but with a little girl who’s just turned 1 time is at a premium so anything to speed up the process would be welcomed.

The price however is making me wince so I’m looking for the best deal to be had.
Currently the best I can find is
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...mash-kit-and-steriliser-new-model-p-3531.html
Which is £675, comes with a free mash kit and free steriliser. Then add the discount code from the sponsors section on here to come in at £641.25 with free delivery.

I’ve heard the homebrewcompany do offers of x% off their whole site over paddy’s day and Easter but don’t want to wait that long, so, my question is

Is the homebrewcompany likely to be running and ‘offer’ days in the near future or, is anyone aware of a better price from an alternative site?

Ps, I’m aware there are cheaper, similar, alternatives but have done the research and want to go with this product. Just looking for the best deal to be had!

I had a good look around before I bought one and I ended up going for that same deal from HBC. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Also the forum code isn't valid on The HBC on offer days, last time around I think it was 10% on St Patrick's but did exclude some stuff. As above I wouldn't wait.

Go for it!

If you are bottling and natural carbonating your brews, the next steps are:
  • Move to kegs to cut down on bottling time.
  • Set up a CO2 forced carbonation system.
Enjoy your daughter.

They grow up so fast you'll be worrying about her latest boyfriend before you've mastered AG brewing! athumb..

Go for it!

If you are bottling and natural carbonating your brews, the next steps are:
  • Move to kegs to cut down on bottling time.
  • Set up a CO2 forced carbonation system.
Enjoy your daughter.

They grow up so fast you'll be worrying about her latest boyfriend before you've mastered AG brewing! athumb..

Cheers for the suggestions all.

I have a corny keg setup but usually end up bottling a few from each batch either as the batch was bigger than the kegs capacity or to have a few portable beers.

I’ve tried force carbonating a few times but although quicker from brew to drinking I think it took longer in terms of my time.

Watch this space i guess athumb..

hi all
After much, much, much reading and a lot of time spent watching YouTube reviews I’ve decided to make the jump to all grain and purchase a grainfather.
I’ve done a few all grain batches (on the hob) but with a little girl who’s just turned 1 time is at a premium so anything to speed up the process would be welcomed.

The price however is making me wince so I’m looking for the best deal to be had.
Currently the best I can find is
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...mash-kit-and-steriliser-new-model-p-3531.html
Which is £675, comes with a free mash kit and free steriliser. Then add the discount code from the sponsors section on here to come in at £641.25 with free delivery.

I’ve heard the homebrewcompany do offers of x% off their whole site over paddy’s day and Easter but don’t want to wait that long, so, my question is

Is the homebrewcompany likely to be running and ‘offer’ days in the near future or, is anyone aware of a better price from an alternative site?

Ps, I’m aware there are cheaper, similar, alternatives but have done the research and want to go with this product. Just looking for the best deal to be had!
It’s a good deal with the mash kit and steriliser. Exactly as I got myself a month or so ago.
One piece of advice. If you don’t already have a long handled stainless mash paddle, buy one along with your Grainfather. I find it essential.

hmm.. after 2 years of brewing with grainfather, I scaled down and now did 2 batches as BIAB. At first I thought that brewing with grainfather was easier... but after my second brew last weekend I am under impression that brewing smaller (10L) batches on a hob is actually more fun and I'm done with it quicker! especially the cleaning bit. Just rinse everything with a hose outside, clean any residue from the boiler... and you are done. While with the grainfather you have to fill it with 15L, add special cleaner, heat up to 60, recirculate etc. Also gas 20L boiler is just £60. Grainfather does add convenience, but I don't think you'll be done quicker on the brew day.

hmm.. after 2 years of brewing with grainfather, I scaled down and now did 2 batches as BIAB. At first I thought that brewing with grainfather was easier... but after my second brew last weekend I am under impression that brewing smaller (10L) batches on a hob is actually more fun and I'm done with it quicker! especially the cleaning bit. Just rinse everything with a hose outside, clean any residue from the boiler... and you are done. While with the grainfather you have to fill it with 15L, add special cleaner, heat up to 60, recirculate etc. Also gas 20L boiler is just £60. Grainfather does add convenience, but I don't think you'll be done quicker on the brew day.

Thanks for the insight (though too late as I’ve now ordered one)
I wasn’t nessesairly looking for a quicker start to finish time, just the least possible ‘hands on’ time.
I work from home so I’m hoping with the GF connect or linked to the iPad I can just run downstairs to kick off the next ‘step’ while on conference calls etc

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight (though too late as I’ve now ordered one)
I wasn’t nessesairly looking for a quicker start to finish time, just the least possible ‘hands on’ time.
I work from home so I’m hoping with the GF connect or linked to the iPad I can just run downstairs to kick off the next ‘step’ while on conference calls etc

well, I'm sure you'll get fitter as it will be plenty of running up and down the stairs :)
anyways, grainfather is an excellent piece of equipment, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
one advice to improve efficiency. Don't be tempted just to add grains and turn on recirculation. Once you added your grains, get a large steel brewers spoon and mix it for about 5 minutes. Set yourself a timer on a phone, as it will feel like eternity :) This really improved efficiency and helped me hit OG as planned.

Back