Bitter advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeM

Reaction score
So. I can brew stouts, IPAs, wheat beers etc successfully, but whenever I brew a more traditional British bitter or ale, it always seems to be a failure and tastes of yeast.

I'm pretty fastidious about my brew temperatures (heat mat/fridge and inkbird) and make sure the fermentation is finished (using a float WiFi hydrometer) before I keg, but all to no avail. The general response is its young, so leave it, but my current brew has been left for about 4-5 months, kegged and carbonated, lovely head, clear as anything, but still tastes of yeast.

I'm having another go next week, but has anyone got any ideas before I throw the towel in

All grain brewer by the way.

Do you think you are very perceptive to the taste of yeast?
The other beers you mention that are ok are IPA - highly hopped so will mask yeast taste and Stouts which too have a strong roasty taste.
Maybe send some of your Bitters/Ales to other brewers or Friends who drink those styles and see what they say.
Ps what yeasts do you use in them?

Tbh, I've no idea, as I've nothing to compare with.
My ciders don't taste yeasty, but I know what you mean about the flavours.

Maybe I will ask someone else.

Traditional British bitter's are my go-to brew and a hard style to get right, I don't think I've cracked them fully yet. It's say go for a stronger brew (more of an ESB, first) as these seem a bit easier to get close. Plenty of clone recipes out there, Ringwood Old Thumper is a favourite of mine, and Dogbolter.

A fellow local brewer mentions the yeast thing you talk about but I can't detect it when I taste the same beer. If you use Gervin or S04 yeasts, they drop out really well when you cold-crash so might help.

So. I can brew stouts, IPAs, wheat beers etc successfully, but whenever I brew a more traditional British bitter or ale, it always seems to be a failure and tastes of yeast.

I'm pretty fastidious about my brew temperatures (heat mat/fridge and inkbird) and make sure the fermentation is finished (using a float WiFi hydrometer) before I keg, but all to no avail. The general response is its young, so leave it, but my current brew has been left for about 4-5 months, kegged and carbonated, lovely head, clear as anything, but still tastes of yeast.

I'm having another go next week, but has anyone got any ideas before I throw the towel in

All grain brewer by the way.
I wonder what it is you're tasting.
If the beer's clear then it shouldn't taste yeasty. What yeast are you using? What's your water profile like?
What is a "yeasty" taste anyway? Is it bready or phenolic or something else? Is there any ingredient you put in your bitters that you don't put on your other beers?
Have you tried using a neutral yeast like US-05?

i have some sympathy with the OP, I have had similar myself; stouts seemed much more satisfactory than bitters. And then one day, I started brewing decent bitters I was pleased with. But I can't offer any great reasons why, except perhaps to say maybe small improvements in procedure, greater concentration on cleaniless to avoid slight infections that a stout might mask the taste of? I dunno.

Back