Black ipa with English hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me neither buddy, had to increase malt bill for all the recipes in that book
You two didn't cut your teeth on Dave Line's recipes then? :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:
I reckon 4Kg in 20 L to give 1050 so 4.8 =Kg for 1060. But only 75% of it is base malt. J...u...s...t about doable, I'd say. But what the hell, life's too short. Increase the malt bill.

You two didn't cut your teeth on Dave Line's recipes then? :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:
I reckon 4Kg in 20 L to give 1050 so 4.8 =Kg for 1060. But only 75% of it is base malt. J...u...s...t about doable, I'd say. But what the hell, life's too short. Increase the malt bill.
Just put it through the forum calculator, recipe seems to be based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. So as you say should be do-able. Trouble is I'm around 70% as a rule and anything around, and certainly north, of 1.060 OG and my efficiency starts to slide.

Just put it through the forum calculator, recipe seems to be based on 75% brewhouse efficiency. So as you say should be do-able. Trouble is I'm around 70% as a rule and anything around, and certainly north, of 1.060 OG and my efficiency starts to slide.
Funny enough I don't use calculators but just go of experience. Basically I wing it
For a 1.060 wort and 20 litres I would need in and around 5kg base malt plus your adjustments

So we seem to be saying I could adapt the grain bill from the kernel recipe, bitter with challenger to around 40 ibu, and whirlpool with say 40g of fuggles. Does that sound like a half decent beer?

Use whatever hops you like in whatever beer you like.
Oh but that wouldn't be `true to style'. As if that matters.
BTW - I have made black IPA with British hops. In my opinion, a black IPA should taste like an IPA that just happens to be black. Too many commercial ones I've tried just taste like fruity stout.

That look more like it. What's the book, by the way?
I found this in another book. Same beer used as the inspiration for the recipe (the kernel export India porter) and same specs, but the malts quantities look more realistic, and there is a much more judicious use of hops (guess this is because the former recipe used hops of 12%AA and Bramling cross will be 8%ish).
IMG_20220427_193925473.jpg
IMG_20220427_193848609.jpg

I wouldn't say this was perfect, but this was my attempt at just the thing. Cascade was UK, but not sure if that's cheating.
Brewfather

I found this in another book. Same beer used as the inspiration for the recipe (the kernel export India porter) and same specs, but the malts quantities look more realistic, and there is a much more judicious use of hops (guess this is because the former recipe used hops of 12%AA and Bramling cross will be 8%ish).
View attachment 67373View attachment 67374
That looks a decent recipe, not a million miles away from one I did recently based on the Guinness West Indies porter. What is the book please?

That looks a decent recipe, not a million miles away from one I did recently based on the Guinness West Indies porter. What is the book please?
Can't remember, I'll have a look when I get home. It's not a great book TBH, only a few recipes

Latest posts

Back