Blichmann boiler modification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't think I've posted on here before (i've come over from uk-homebrew which seems to have died), those of you that know me will know i've down sized my brewing.

The 1BBL plant has been sold and replaced with various sizes of Blichmann boiler makers :) I've also decided to go back to electric brewing so I needed a way to move the elements back and forth between the vessels as a switch the roles of the various vessels to brew different batch sizes. I decided that tri-clover fittings would provide the best way to quickly add and remove elements and blank the holes.

Now the problem, My TIG welding skills aren't the greatest and I didn't want to risk them on an expensive pot, so what to do, well I got some aluminium and made a heat sink come jig on the lathe to align the parts and prevent any warping it also had the added advantage of containing the backing purge gas. Then it hit me the jig would provide a perfect anchor point for a robotic rotary welder - so i built one:)

The result, it couldn't have come out any better, the weld is invisible from the inside and the heat affected zone rubbed of with a scotch brite.

Now I just need to order some more fitting and do the other 3.

R.

IMG_0130.jpg

I've just finished making the element fitting, ready to brew next weekend.

I took some more photos, of the parts, the jig and the finished article.

Regards
Russell

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Latest posts

Back