BM20 - Malt Pipe Seal Issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bit I did not explain well was that the wires only go in after sparging.
I put them in place while the pipe is hanging clear of the bottom.
(I have never had trouble with the seal falling off before this point).

Not the easiest thing to photograph - hope these help.
View attachment 73884
View attachment 73886View attachment 73888
Thank you, I understand now. However, the one time the seal came adrift for me was when I was lifting the malt pipe at the end of the mash, before sparging.

The bit I did not explain well was that the wires only go in after sparging.
I put them in place while the pipe is hanging clear of the bottom.
(I have never had trouble with the seal falling off before this point).

Not the easiest thing to photograph - hope these help.
View attachment 73884
View attachment 73886View attachment 73888
Ahh I get it now. thanks for the diagram!

Of the 2 times my seal has come off I am 99% sure the first time was when I lifted the malt pipe out, I had tried my first (only) overnight mash and the malt pipe was seriously hard to lift out, I suspect it had fused / gummed up to the bottom of the tank. To be honest the overnight mash seemed like a good idea but in reality it saved me an hour and that wasn't worth the worry when you're off to bed of "is there a wort fountain?" I would love to just enjoy a full brewday and take my time, but with a young family I always have a delayed start then mash in at 5am to try and get done and enjoy the afternoon with them! Anyway another discussion.

The second time, I couldn't tell you, but I was wise to it and checked it before sparging and it was already off, but hey if yours seems to always drop off during the sparge, you've solved your problem! Coat hanger wire engineering!

Think I will just buy another malt pipe seal, see if that helps and if not I just need to live with it and make sure I do a cursory check prior to sparging. Just didnt know if it was common and someone else had got to the bottom of it before me.

Latest posts

Back