BOGOF

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidHatton

Reaction score
You brew one you get one free, Ah said, you brew one, you get the idea. Don't need any windows ont brewhouse as I brew outside thank you very much na BOGOF.

Anyway, today I set out to do my first attempt at extracting two worts from the same grist, I brew on a BIAB system and normally get 70% efficiency, today I am aiming lower.
Wort one, a Wee Heavy, Wort two I get a mild bitter, if I have calculated correctly.
Grist was 6.49kg, First runnings came out at 18 litres of wort instead of 20 litres, didn't really squeeze the life out of the bag.
Came out with a pre-boil reading of 1,065, lost a few points, but not to concerned as it's a first attempt, cooled post boil gravity reading was 1,076 at 16 litres.
So if it gets down to 1,012(8.4%)/1,010(8.6%) was aiming under 9%.
With the water additions hit PH 5.2 on mash one and 5.4 on mash two.
So, I decanted the first runnings from the brew kettle to a sperate 20l stainless steel pot, set it aside on the hob for later.

Filled up the kettle with 25 litres of house water added my water treatments as it comes to temp, mash temp was reach quickly because of the thermal mass of the grains in the bag, took 10 minutes to be back up to mash temp! Just enough time to brew a Yorkshire tea, result.
Second mash was under way, 75 minute mash probably wasn't necessary, but wasn't in a hurry, trying to allow enough time between to get myself set up. (easier if I had a stand alone mash tun) But no worries, sticky flip flops have become a fixture of my brew days, might even name my next beer "sticky flip flops"
Mashed out on the first mash, but not the second as I had run out of ss pots, so transferred to a plastic fermenter and did want 78c wort in it. So out the second mash went and raised out the grain bag to another bucket, which if anyone has followed my **** postings, you will know I have an abundance of misfit plastic buckets "I am getting over it."
Wort out and wort in, no time to mess about. The boil was reached in 15 minutes, 60 min boil, hop additions will be below.
Pretty smooth brew day, only mishaps where, pump out hose shot off luckily I was there, big toe is now without hair! Using the pump to circulate the wort through the counter flow chiller which I made a few days ago, not going to swear, but christ on a bike, both batches cooled to 21c in as long as it took to run it off in the fermenter, less than 10 minutes.
My old immersion chiller used to take 40/50 minute, used the full 10m coil minus some off cutting.

Wee Heavy 1,074 missed 2 points hopped with 15g of Columbus (15 AA) 60 minutes & East Kent Goldings & Fuggles 13g & 7g 15 minutes.
Mild 1,034 hopped with 13g Columbus (15 AA) 60 minutes & East Kent Goldings 13g at 15 minutes.

Wee Heavy (Gristly Bear) is going away for winter & Mild (Baby Bear) will be a steady week day pint.

Yeast I used was a 2-litre starter from one packet of Wyeast London Ale III 1318, split the starter across the two fermenters, not 50/50 more like 70/30...

In summary, a 10 hour brew day no food just Yorkshire Tea! Alot of fun, good exercise in how I can streamline my brew day on my one pot set up.
Now Drinking a St Austell, Proper job. Cheers.

Last edited:
Brave man for attempting that. It sounds like a full on effort to keep things under control. Totally agree with the sticky flip-flops! It gets messy sometimes.

You brew one you get one free, Ah said, you brew one, you get the idea. Don't need any windows ont brewhouse as I brew outside thank you very much na BOGOF.

Anyway, today I set out to do my first attempt at extracting two worts from the same grist, I brew on a BIAB system and normally get 70% efficiency, today I am aiming lower.
Wort one, a Wee Heavy, Wort two I get a mild bitter, if I have calculated correctly.
Grist was 6.49kg, First runnings came out at 18 litres of wort instead of 20 litres, didn't really squeeze the life out of the bag.
Came out with a pre-boil reading of 1,065, lost a few points, but not to concerned as it's a first attempt, cooled post boil gravity reading was 1,076 at 16 litres.
So if it gets down to 1,012(8.4%)/1,010(8.6%) was aiming under 9%.
With the water additions hit PH 5.2 on mash one and 5.4 on mash two.
So, I decanted the first runnings from the brew kettle to a sperate 20l stainless steel pot, set it aside on the hob for later.

Filled up the kettle with 25 litres of house water added my water treatments as it comes to temp, mash temp was reach quickly because of the thermal mass of the grains in the bag, took 10 minutes to be back up to mash temp! Just enough time to brew a Yorkshire tea, result.
Second mash was under way, 75 minute mash probably wasn't necessary, but wasn't in a hurry, trying to allow enough time between to get myself set up. (easier if I had a stand alone mash tun) But no worries, sticky flip flops have become a fixture of my brew days, might even name my next beer "sticky flip flops"
Mashed out on the first mash, but not the second as I had run out of ss pots, so transferred to a plastic fermenter and did want 78c wort in it. So out the second mash went and raised out the grain bag to another bucket, which if anyone has followed my **** postings, you will know I have an abundance of misfit plastic buckets "I am getting over it."
Wort out and wort in, no time to mess about. The boil was reached in 15 minutes, 60 min boil, hop additions will be below.
Pretty smooth brew day, only mishaps where, pump out hose shot off luckily I was there, big toe is now without hair! Using the pump to circulate the wort through the counter flow chiller which I made a few days ago, not going to swear, but christ on a bike, both batches cooled to 21c in as long as it took to run it off in the fermenter, less than 10 minutes.
My old immersion chiller used to take 40/50 minute, used the full 10m coil minus some off cutting.

Wee Heavy 1,074 missed 2 points hopped with 15g of Columbus (15 AA) 60 minutes & East Kent Goldings & Fuggles 13g & 7g 15 minutes.
Mild 1,034 hopped with 13g Columbus (15 AA) 60 minutes & East Kent Goldings 13g at 15 minutes.

Wee Heavy (Gristly Bear) is going away for winter & Mild (Baby Bear) will be a steady week day pint.

Yeast I used was a 2-litre starter from one packet of Wyeast London Ale III 1318, split the starter across the two fermenters, not 50/50 more like 70/30...

In summary, a 10 hour brew day no food just Yorkshire Tea! Alot of fun, good exercise in how I can streamline my brew day on my one pot set up.
Now Drinking a St Austell, Proper job. Cheers.
I've done this a few times myself but had the advantage of gas and electric using 2 pots and only a 15 min mash as you only need to rinse the sugar of the grains. About 7 hrs all in but it keeps you busy. 👍👍

I've done this a few times myself but had the advantage of gas and electric using 2 pots and only a 15 min mash as you only need to rinse the sugar of the grains. About 7 hrs all in but it keeps you busy. 👍👍
Next time I will shorten the second mash, as above, will defo be adding a cooler mash tun for the next effort, that will allow a bigger grist. cheers.

Latest posts

Back