Bohemian Blonde Pils Fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41004

Reaction score
I am fairly new to brewing and am currently doing the Beerworks Bohemian Blonde Pils, it's on day 4 of primary fermentation.
I followed the instructions to the letter, the start hydrometer reading was 1050 (took several readings to be sure), and the temp was about 24deg. I have an immersion heater in the FV to help regulate the temp as the house is always kept cool as the missus is always roasting and can't cope with the heating on any more than lukewarm. The heater comes preset to 24deg, but I adjusted it down so it would run about 20degs.
The first two days it bubbled away like mad, the airlock burbling about every 8-10secs, however is has slowed quite a lot over days 3 and 4. When I got home today (5pm) it was only bubbling about every minute and a half (90secs) and by 7pm it's slowed to about every minute and 50secs. I've checked the thermometer stuck on the FV and it reads 19degs.

Is it better to leave it to continue fermenting as it is, bearing in mind it has another six days to go before the hops go in, or should I take the heater out and turn it up a little? The instructions say it is best between 20 and 24degs.

Any advice?

yup. leave it. a lack of bubbling doesn't mean it has stopped. won't do it any harm at all letting it sit until you chuck the hops in.

24 degrees for a Pilsner what yeast are you using? air bubble activity will naturally slow as the fermentation gets closer to the end. I think though that your temp is way too high if its a lager yeast and so the clean profile you would get at lower temp wont be how your beer will end up.

It just said "Premium Lager Yeast" on the packet in the kit. I got the temp a bit high when mixing the malt and sugar in the water before adding the yeast, I managed to get it down to 24deg when the yeast went in, it stayed around this for the first day or so bubbling manically, this has now settled at about 18-19deg and a pretty slow bubble. I do have an immersion heater in there and I thought I'd got it set down to about 20deg but it would seem to be a bit lower.

I think you are about 10 degrees too high, lager yeasts have a much lower operating temp, 24 is high even for an ale yeast. 19 is also too high it will be fermenting but the issue is at higher temps it can give off esters and additional compounds you dont want in a pilsner flavour profile

I think you are about 10 degrees too high, lager yeasts have a much lower operating temp, 24 is high even for an ale yeast. 19 is also too high it will be fermenting but the issue is at higher temps it can give off esters and additional compounds you dont want in a pilsner flavour profile

I started one of these on Monday and posted about the temp for this yeast. The instructions do say 20-25deg but as close to 20 as poss. I raised the query as to anyone knew what type of yeast it was, but havent had a response. I think its a type of californian lager yeast which tolerates a much higher temp and gives a very clean taste whilst at it (although that remains to be tasted!).

OP- we’re due to be able to keg this beer at the same time! Mine had a slow start but then last night had a big burst and the tallest krausen Ive experienced to date. Looking forward to this, have you brewed it before?

I ferment my lagers at about 9 and California Commons (steam beer) at about 16. The temp range you listed seems too high. For a BoPils, I would expect to ferment it in the 8-12 range. I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

I started one of these on Monday and posted about the temp for this yeast. The instructions do say 20-25deg but as close to 20 as poss. I raised the query as to anyone knew what type of yeast it was, but havent had a response. I think its a type of californian lager yeast which tolerates a much higher temp and gives a very clean taste whilst at it (although that remains to be tasted!).

OP- we’re due to be able to keg this beer at the same time! Mine had a slow start but then last night had a big burst and the tallest krausen Ive experienced to date. Looking forward to this, have you brewed it before?

Not brewed this before, but it will be interesting to see how our brews turn out.

Latest posts

Back