Brains SA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt.Frederickson

Reaction score
As there is a distinct lack of a recipe on t'interwebs for this, I thought I'd have a go...
According to the Brains website, the hops are Challenger, EKG and Fuggles and malt is just Pale and Crystal. I thought I'd chuck some wheat in for head retention.

Here are the percentage ingredients;

Maris Otter - 87.5%
Crystal (120 ebc) - 7.5%
Wheat Malt - 5%
Challenger (6.5 AA) - 33.33%, 60 mins
EKG (5.1 AA) - 13.33%, 10 mins
Fuggles (4.4 AA) - 13.33%, 10 mins
EKG (5.1 AA) - 20%, 0 mins
Fuggles (4.4 AA) - 20%, 0 mins

Brewmate reckons about 23ebc, but should probably turn out darker. I'm shooting for an IBU of around 40 (I no-chill, as I BIAB).

Any thoughts on the recipe? Haven't brewed it yet, but will probably do so next weekend.

Edit: Quantities above changed following feedback

I don't have a recipe, but I think 15% crystal is way too much, reduce it to about 7%

Ok, will do Ed. Much appreciated for the input on this, didn't really think about it at the time but you're definitely right. I've halved the amount and increased the others accordingly.
Cheers mate.

It's not a beer I drink often but I think 40IBU seems too high. Brains SA is more of malt accented brew and is quite 'smooth' so I would have thought IBUs would be below 30.

I think the yeast is important for this. Anything too attenutive would be out of character. There's something about Brains which reminds me of Irish red ales (eg Kilkenny). Perhaps an Irish ale yeast would fit ?

Latest posts

Back