Brass fittings & pump for brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Was just about to buy a pump that seemed ideal for recirculating wort but also for bottle washing. Looking at the design it is a centrifugal pump but has a cast brass body and impeller, with stainless grubscrews.

Linky

Would it be ok to use this for homebrew or would there be a contamination problem from copper or lead?
I already have a copper wort chiller soldered with lead free solder, but all other fittings are stainless steel.
Is brass a problem?

On the principle it would be only very light use - 2hours max every 2 weeks - I am not a commercial brewery using it every day.

I've seen plastic 12v pumps used for recirculation, but would not have the power for washing. This pump is 240v and 90W so has about a 400mA draw, and compared this to Brau 19-1 pump of 115V at 0.1A (11.5W) and a chugger pump of 115V 1.4A (161W) so is between the two. The only major differences are the use of brass instead of stainless steel, and the price.

Breweries traditionally used copper for pipework and vessels before SS became cheap and replaced it. Lead is a cumulative poison so I would steer clear of anything that has lead in contact with water, wort or beer. Brass is used extensively in water supply fittings so should be OK, although it may have a small lead content in the alloy.

Here's a view of the impeller. Nice of them to take it apart. This is designed for a water pressure boost pump for showers, so when off it will be at full mains water pressure, and not leak. Should also cope with hot water systems so good up to 60 degrees C. Should be ok for us as a few psi max.
s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts

Back