Brew day grain improvisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
Just as I was weighing out the speciality grains for my extract rye pale ale (rye, Munich, honey biscuit), I noticed that the recipe also called for a small amount of Victory malt (170g in a 32 pint batch).

Looking around the forums, I saw Victory described as biscuity and roasted-tasting. I opted to emulate those notes with a little chocolate malt and tiorrified wheat (as well as being biscuity, the latter I figured should help with head retention, as there were no other grains of that nature).

After boiling with some magnum, fuggles and Goldings hops, it looks and smells like an American brown ale. That handful of chocolate malt turned the wort far darker than anything that could be called a pale ale.

So what does anyone think of my switcheroo? And how's it going to taste, do we think?

Amber malt is often used as a sub for victory which is more of a dry, toasty biscuit flavour. Since it's only a small amount you won't be too far away and it'll still be good with the chocolate.

To be honest, Horsey, it is very unlikely that your substitution will be for the worse. I suspect that a lot of "imaginative" looking recipes are just to use up what is lying around. That would include the commercially brewed stuff as well. :whistle:

Ha ha! I'll keep that in mind. I've got to report that fermentation went off like a rocket. Started after five hours or so, and the krausen's now a good inch and a half high. Looking forward to this one: more malt and hops than I've used before.

Latest posts

Back