Brewfather giving incorrect water volume, through ignoring LME volume.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterpiper

Reaction score
Did first partial mash recipe (a super high gravity RIS), going with Brewfather figures for water, but then ended up having to boil more than twice as long as specified, to get correct batch volume.
The LME was included in Fermentables, with use set to flameout.

I normally do all grain recipes, and Brewfather water amounts here give the correct batch volume.

But in a partial mash, Brewfather gives water amounts, that would give correct postboil volume (= batch volume), without any LME.
But with the 3kg LME added, which (at 1.2kg/L) is a volume of 2.5L, it results in batch being 2.5L larger than specified.

Trying a simple test recipe (with all equipment losses to zero), shows that the LME liquid volume is ignored in Brewfather, whatever its 'use' setting. The same water volumes are given whether there's 3kg LME in mash; 3kg LME at flameout; or no LME included.

Is there some brewfather setting to correct this?

Last edited:
Did first partial mash recipe (a super high gravity RIS), going with Brewfather figures for water, but then ended up having to boil more than twice as long as specified, to get correct batch volume.
The LME was included in Fermentables, with use set to flameout.

I normally do all grain recipes, and Brewfather water amounts here give the correct batch volume.

But in a partial mash, Brewfather gives water amounts, that would give correct postboil volume (= batch volume), without any LME.
But with the 3kg LME added, which (at 1.2kg/L) is a volume of 2.5L, it results in batch being 2.5L larger than specified.

Trying a simple test recipe (with all equipment losses to zero), shows that the LME liquid volume is ignored in Brewfather, whatever its 'use' setting. The same water volumes are given whether there's 3kg LME in mash; 3kg LME at flameout; or no LME included.

Is there some brewfather setting to correct this?
Just maybe they expect the brewer to be willing to have some input too.

Mmmm, interesting - you're right, it doesn't seem to account for the volume of liquid ingredients. I don't use LME much, but have inputted a historical recipe that does and irrespective of the amount I add, water volumes don't change for a given batch size.

Mmmm, interesting - you're right, it doesn't seem to account for the volume of liquid ingredients. I don't use LME much, but have inputted a historical recipe that does and irrespective of the amount I add, water volumes don't change for a given batch size.
Thanks for checking.
Glad to know it's not just an error on my part.

I'd asked a while back, on brewfather Facebook group, but no replies yet.

Back