Brewferm Christmas Ale - Original Gravity reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo2be

Reaction score
Good evening folks,

I hope we're all tickety-boo.

Well I've just this minute finished making my first Brewferm kit after reading through numerous reviews here.

It all went pretty smoothly (for me) except now at the reading the original gravity reading. I thought this is meant to have an OG of 1.065 however having taken two samples 15 minutes apart and from the bottom of a 5 gallon fermenter my OG is 1.054 (give or take .002).

This happened for my first two batches also (Rolling Rock Whispering Wheat where I added 500 g of light Spraymalt and 1 kg of lager sugar, similar with Muntons Highland Heavy although I didn't make any alterations to the kit. They all seem to have lower OG's than what I would've expected in my novice capacity.

So am I doing something wrong? Is there a technique to getting an accurate OG reading? Oh for your info I shook the bejesus out of the fermenter after adding the tin of sticky goodness, stirred it with a homebrew stirrer attached to a drill for about 15 minutes in 5 minute batches and stirred too - I'm stumped.

Not had a chance to sample the Muntons yet as it's only just had a week cold crashing after bottling (had a week at approx 23ish C to start the bottle carbing). The whispering wheat was actually pretty fine when it reached the time it was meant to, by which point I only had two 500ml bottles left the rest was quaffed at Christmas way too green, tasted a bit like a flavoured cider but it didn't stop any of the troops knocking it back and the best part was I managed to knock quite a few back without hangover.

Thanks in advance for any responses - just about to head out and get my beer on so don't think I'm being rude if I've not come back this evening should anyone have any light they can cast on my readings.

Cheers

P

Back