Brewferm Grand Cru questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumpy

Reaction score
9L of Grand Cru started in a 23L fv on Sat 23rd June, 550g of homemade candy sugar but had to add an extra 100g of dextrose to get in up to the 1075 mark, temperature set to 24c and it went off like a rocket, then the paranoia set in due to concern over the amount of head space.
On day 5 I racked it into 2 x 5L water containers and placed in a water bath at 22c, there was very little activity in the airlocks, so assumed it had already, or, was as good as finished prior to racking.
Day 12 and its still in the water bath, curiosity got the better of me and I needed to take a gravity reading, 1016, not bad I guess, but could be lower + it tastes quite sweet, I have now given it a bit of a swish and upped the temp to 25c, just to see if I can get it any lower.
My plan is to remove it from the water bath at day 14 and store it at room temp in a cupboard at approx 20c, then cold crash at day 18 and bottle on day 21.

Question time!!
1, 1016 is acceptable compared to the predicted 1010, should I bother trying any other methods to get it lower?
2, should I just leave it in the bath at the current 25c and not bother moving to a cupboard?
3, is there any benefit in cold crashing this type of beer?
4, should I leave it for longer than 21days in the secondary’s?

My apologies for asking questions that I am sure have all been asked somewhere before, but I just want to get this one spot on, as hopefully it will be for visitors at Christmas, if it lasts that long!!

The kit instruction say it's 8% by volume and your at 7.8....I'd be happy with that :cool:
At 1.010 you'd be at 8.6% ABV...is that what your kit says :hmm:
I assume this has extended maturation time and that will sort the 0.2 difference.

Thanks, just need a bit of reassurance on the overly sweet taste I got when I took the last reading, just checked my notes and it started at1072, so perhaps nearer to 7.5%, I guess it will be fine if I leave it long enough to mature in the bottle.

Just need to relax a bit perhaps!!

be prepared to leave it a long time in the bottle, mine took months to clear fully and was pretty ropy early on, after 6 months it was very good

Back