Brewing a lager kit with ale yeast vs. lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderTropica

Reaction score
Looking around, it seems that a lot of "lager" kits actually come with ale yeast.
As I understand it, ale yeast ferments at a warmer temperature and, overall, the process is a lot quicker compared to genuine lagering.

My questions are:

1. Has anybody tried brewing the same beer kit, once with the ale yeast provided, and once with a separately bought lager yeast? How did the two brews compare in taste and quality when finished?
2. What are the approximate production times for ale vs. lager yeast? Specifically: primary fermentation, bottle-conditioned carbonation, and bottle aging? A breakdown of the two timelines would be appreciated.

Thanks! 😊

I’m assuming you have proper temperature control? You’ll need it for a proper lager yeast. Otherwise have you considered a hybrid strain like MJ California Lager or Lallemand Novalager?

I’m assuming you have proper temperature control? You’ll need it for a proper lager yeast. Otherwise have you considered a hybrid strain like MJ California Lager or Lallemand Novalager?
That's a good point; I forgot to ask about temperature info. 😊

I have a heat mat I can use to keep temperature constant 18-24°C. I have only made a barley wine so far and it was very successful with the fermentation kept steady at 24°C.

Latest posts

Back