Builders find time capsule in Pooley Bridge pub

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IMG_20161019_134646.jpg

A time capsule buried over 50 years ago has been unearthed by builders at The Crown at Pooley Bridge.

Contractors were making interior alterations to the building when they stumbled across an old biscuit box inside the brickwork of a wall.

It is filled with memorabilia from 1959, when a bar and cellar extension were completed. There is letter giving details of the day it was hidden, alongside a list of names of those present.

IMG_20161019_135237.jpg

It reads: “This container was placed here upon the twentyninth day of May, 1959, by a small group of people present at the building on new bar and cellar extensions at the hotel. It was a fine spring day, a little cloudy, but warm.

“We do not know when this box will be found, but since it might be many years hence, we have included a number of small items which we hope will be of interest to the finder.”

Among the contents were a receipt for a brewery order, showing the price of beer, a fixtures list from the darts league, drinking licence, postcards from the area, coasters, a copy of the Manchester Guardian and a motor fuel ration book.

Steve Martin, Operations Director for Thwaites Inns of Character, said: “It was a complete surprise to find it but it’s been fascinating to look through the contents.

“What we’re intrigued about is whether any of the people listed in the letter are still in the area, as we’d like to invite them to our grand reopening when building work is complete �" we might even have another time capsule to bury!”

IMG_20161019_134611.jpg

IMG_20161019_134605.jpg

IMG_20161019_135302.jpg

Those listed include proprietor E Huddart, their son and daughter Joan Margaret and Peter Radcliffe, staff members Brian Collingwood, Audrey Margaret Atkinson and Elizabeth Murray.

Thwaites is transforming the popular village pub with a multi-million development.

Highlights will include the introduction of 17 guest bedrooms and the creation of a first floor terrace with spectacular views over the Lakeland.

The designs have been inspired by the local area, drawing on natural and local materials such as local slate and stripped back wood.

Work on The Crown got underway in September and the new look inn is set to open in spring of 2017.

newlogolarge.png

My uncle was renovating one of the oldest pubs in Ireland in the 1970s in newtownards when he discovered the greatest cache of 16th (or 17th cant remember) century coins ever discovered. They were deemed to be trove and taken off him. They are now on display in the Ulster museum though sadly they didn't even acknowledge his name in the museum - he was just referred to as a work man!

Nice to see these things :smile:

My uncle was renovating one of the oldest pubs in Ireland in the 1970s in newtownards when he discovered the greatest cache of 16th (or 17th cant remember) century coins ever discovered. They were deemed to be trove and taken off him. They are now on display in the Ulster museum though sadly they didn't even acknowledge his name in the museum - he was just referred to as a work man!

Nice to see these things :smile:

Isn't Irelands oldest pub Grace Neills in Donaghadee?

Edit: sorry I misread your post you said 'one of the oldest'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't Irelands oldest pub Grace Neills in Donaghadee?

Edit: sorry I misread your post you said 'one of the oldest'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grace Neills is the oldest now. There was originally a pub across the road from the market cross - called the Old Cross (not the same pub as the Old cross inn facing it). This was the oldest pub but it was demolished and became the shop electric shop and is now the assissi charity shop.

When demolishing the old cross my uncle found the coins under the floor boards.

Back