Cask beer from a keg.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technology overcame the methods of the past 50 years ago, it's why camra formed. If you aren't following the methods of the past, then it's something different. Cellarmanship, venting, tapping, the ingress of air, the change in flavour, are all intrinsic to cask beer. If you aren't following the methods then it isn't and can not be cask beer, it's just beer. It's not hard to understand. Saying cask from keg, is like claiming Spotify is vinyl records from the Internet, sure it was the same recording in the studio, but the outcome and user is experience is totally different.
So what is the Key Cask? The only difference is in the name, Keg and Cask both work the same way and serve the same beer you are quibbling over a name. Forget the past put away the rearview mirrors and get yourself up to date. It isn't hard to understand.

You're missing (physically, mentally and culturally) vital parts of the process that makes cask ale, cask ale. The same beer can go into cask, bottle or keykeg and be naturally carbonated 'real ale', sure. Can the bottle be called cask ale? No. Something that used to be a choice in British pubs, bottle or draft, depending on flavour preference, because there's a subtle difference.

Obviously, an antipodean will have a better understanding of British pub culture and what the entire British population expect to receive when they order cask beer in pub.

You're missing (physically, mentally and culturally) vital parts of the process that makes cask ale, cask ale. The same beer can go into cask, bottle or keykeg and be naturally carbonated 'real ale', sure. Can the bottle be called cask ale? No. Something that used to be a choice in British pubs, bottle or draft, depending on flavour preference, because there's a subtle difference.

Obviously, an antipodean will have a better understanding of British pub culture and what the entire British population expect to receive when they order cask beer in pub.
At last, you are finally getting close, (quote). 'The same beer can go into cask, bottle or keykeg and be naturally carbonated 'real ale', sure'. Therefore whether it be a cask or a keg making the pour with no other gas touching the beer the two beers being poured are exactly the same!

At last, you are finally getting close, (quote). 'The same beer can go into cask, bottle or keykeg and be naturally carbonated 'real ale', sure'. Therefore whether it be a cask or a keg making the pour with no other gas touching the beer the two beers being poured are exactly the same!
True. Properly handled Cask gets exposed to air, though. To help you join the dots, ask yourself why people decant wine, swirl brandy, or suck in air when professional tasting tea or coffee. Why do breweries go out of their way to facilitate pubs to deliberately allow air into casks of beer, knowing the shelf life is dramatically reduced? Even when spoiled beer can affect their reputation. Why persist with cask, even when they also use or have access to keykegs?

You'll get there eventually, keep trying, and get some oxygen to your brain.

Last edited:
I used to sell Fyne Ales Avalanche (Light, hoppy, creamy, 5% gorgeousness) in a cask. After a number of years wasting beer when it off. I went over to a cask RLBS CO2 breather as the lifespan was massively extended. Minimal waste, good for the environment and us - That is the most important thing for a sensible small business. CAMRA have even recognised the system as well.

It is a tech development that improves the beer. It was still cask beer, or is to be despised by the 'real ale Luddites' who originally smashed up the threshing machine refusing to accept a thing called technological progress,,,,,,,,,

I sold Fyne Ales Yarl (in a 30L keg) this year. It's my back-up when I sell out of my brews. It lasts 6 months and tastes brilliant!!!! would I go back to cask? fek no!!!!!

I love my keg brews and my brilliant brewing system, pressure fermenting with mutated lager yeast and liquid hop extracts. I welcome all improvements if it is cost effective.

Anyone who wants the 'real ale' effect 🤣 can blow through a straw in their beer to get the traditional effect. I'll even supply the compostable straw FOC,,,:roll:

CAMRA have even recognised the system as well.
They do for that circumstance, as it keeps breweries brewing and selling cask. The preference is still not using it where appropriate.

There's a multitude of packaging options and technologies, that stop ale being exposed to oxygen, yet breweries actively choose to supply and promote the one that does, over all of them. Even young, modern craft brewers, who arguably aren't luddites. Why?

https://verdantbrewing.co/blogs/news/the-verdant-cask-project

Last edited:
The Junior fermenter which I believe is already over in Europe can take the bags just by removing the ball locks and inserting the bag with an A or D coupler or the commercial kegs are cheap about 12 GBP for both 10 and 20 litres.

1701232044970.png

1701232094262.png

The Junior fermenter which I believe is already over in Europe can take the bags just by removing the ball locks and inserting the bag with an A or D coupler or the commercial kegs are cheap about 12 GBP for both 10 and 20 litres.
This looks really cool. Do you know if the bags are available in Europe? I have spent a bit of time searching and can only find Alibaba suppliers with high MOQs.

This looks really cool. Do you know if the bags are available in Europe? I have spent a bit of time searching and can only find Alibaba suppliers with high MOQs.
I doubt they will be available just yet, I don't think they are even on the website. It is more for commercials but I am sure that it has great potential for home brewers. I will ask what the chances are of exporting to EU

Looks like I was wrong, the kegs are being made under license in the Czech Republic so will be available in January I believe.
May take time for the home brew shops to catch on. Best to lobby them. Get Er Brewed seems to be into bags in kegs for the small breweries so he could be interested for the home brewer. Will certainly be cheaper than having to ship from Australia.
Zeg Keg - Smartpet

@foxy Thanks for the extra information. From a bit of a google it isn't clear if the bags are available separately. I think I'll drop Get Er Brewed a mail and see what they say.

@foxy Thanks for the extra information. From a bit of a google it isn't clear if the bags are available separately. I think I'll drop Get Er Brewed a mail and see what they say.
Bags are, or should be available separately. I put a bag in my Junior fermenter just so I can watch the squeeze.
Be ready in a week.
1702360204002.jpeg

They are starting to take off in Australia among the homebrewers. Makes sense, no purging and no need for gas and a cask pour. What more could a homebrewer ask?

Bags are, or should be available separately. I put a bag in my Junior fermenter just so I can watch the squeeze.
Be ready in a week.
View attachment 93148
They are starting to take off in Australia among the homebrewers. Makes sense, no purging and no need for gas and a cask pour. What more could a homebrewer ask?
Could then use a Lindr for dispense and lose the CO2 bottle... Though, for me, the CO2 bottle serves a number of other purposes such as purging and pushing beer from FV to keg.

Could then use a Lindr for dispense and lose the CO2 bottle... Though, for me, the CO2 bottle serves a number of other purposes such as purging and pushing beer from FV to keg.
Each to his own, no purging needed, no CO2 needed to push beer into the bag in the keg.

Back