Centennial Blonde Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day Brewers and Brewster's,

I've brewed a Centennial Blonde for the first time and it's completely fermented out in just under 3 days. I've dumped the dead yeast and trub; now I need to decide what conditioning to do.

1) Treat it like an American IPA, keg it and carbonate at 12 PSI for a week
2) Treat it like a bitter and leave it in the conditioning fridge at 13°c for a few weeks and serve it through the engine.

I've not brewed this style before so if anyone else has I'd appreciate some feedback.

https://share.brewfather.app/WT6ZBiV8mfxoFT
Thank you

Stuart

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-132336.png
    Screenshot_20230817-132336.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 4
You can do either.
If you want a keg beer do it as a IPA but maybe not as carbed or just push it through the beer engine.
It will taste different depending to each method so do half and half and see which you prefer, me I would not carb and push it through the engine

You can do either.
If you want a keg beer do it as a IPA but maybe not as carbed or just push it through the beer engine.
It will taste different depending to each method so do half and half and see which you prefer, me I would not carb and push it through the engine
Thank you, is that your preference for this style or just general preference?

It is my preference to put it through the engine but pubs do this style both ways so you can have keg Blonde or Cask Blonde.
I prefer the Smooth style by engine I have done a Centennial/Summit Blonde and that went through the engine and was nice

It is my preference to put it through the engine but pubs do this style both ways so you can have keg Blonde or Cask Blonde.
I prefer the Smooth style by engine I have done a Centennial/Summit Blonde and that went through the engine and was nice
That's excellent and just what I was after, thank you.

I've brewed a Centennial Blonde for the first time ...
Reminds me, I've not made any Centennial Blond this year, I really am slacking.

It's supposedly an American "pseudo-lager" (or UK, or anywhere else for that matter). So, option "1"! It ain't no "bitter" and I'd think it pretty naff out of a hand-pump. But each to their own. This post is for balancing opinion ... and leaving you wondering what the answer to your question was.

BTW: I carbonate it at 7PSI (in a fridge), but I don't like Coke-Cola style fizziness.

[EDIT: Crikey, I lied! I set my version of a spunding valve to 7psi, I ferment it under pressure in a keg, which means it carbonates at 12psi. Good job I did have a break from making it this year, or me head might have popped with all that gas.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/brewing-lager-in-corny.99370/#post-1149549]

Last edited:
Reminds me, I've not made any Centennial Blond this year, I really am slacking.

It's supposedly an American "pseudo-lager" (or UK, or anywhere else for that matter). So, option "1"! It ain't no "bitter" and I'd think it pretty naff out of a hand-pump. But each to their own. This post is for balancing opinion ... and leaving you wondering what the answer to your question was.

BTW: I carbonate it at 7PSI (in a fridge), but I don't like Coke-Cola style fizziness.
Each to their own PeeBee but you are right it does need a balance on this as it is personal choice whether to cask or keg it :laugh8:

Split the brew as I suggested try it both ways leave half in the keg and carb and half in your engine set up that way you will know which suits your drinking style

Kegged it today. Nailed the FG 1.010, looking forward to trying it. I went with the keggerator (sorry Baron) because I forgot I've got a bitter conditioning in the fridge with the beer engine and it would have been a squeeze.

If it turns out to be a winner, I'll likely rebrew it again for the engine.

I had a fair bit left over from the keg so rather than bottle I put it through the engine.

Tastes quaffable. It's a lot clearer after it settles. Now to see what the keg's like.

Attachments

• PXL_20230823_165850568.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230823_165850568.PORTRAIT.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230823_172454215.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20230823_172454215.PORTRAIT.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back