Checking damaged bottles..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaddan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon my cats have managed to get into my celler and have knocked a box of beers down :(
Have lost 3 bottles, I've not had a chance to inspect the other glass bottles that were in the box yet..
I was planning of removing the labels and shining a torch to see Aby obvious damage- any tips or anything to look fir?

Attachments

• 20230507_110630.jpg
    20230507_110630.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 8
Once emptied, shine a torch into/through it. Shine through all parts of the bottles. Look for any cracks. If it has a crack in it, that'll be a weak spot that will probably fail at the least convenient moment.

Chastise the cats.

Last edited:
Eyeballing a glass bottle that there's a concern that it might explode, is possibly the worst advice I've read on this forum. Being the very definition of least convenient moment. Please don't.

Either carefully dispose of them or box them up again. If they go, they'll be contained.

They'll probably be fine if left to settle.

Last edited:
Oh my! I didn't realise the bottles were still full.. 😳. Definitely don't eyeball them whilst they might explode!

Give them a thorough check once emptied and cleaned. Sorry!

Thanks all.
I decided that as they had been sat (on the floor, shelf or bucket) post fall for a while (1hr+) so any extra pressure would have disapated...
One has a hairline crack so has gone in the bin, the rest has no obvious damage so will probably go in the bin after drinking..

Though may put in a cardboard box rather than the milk crate there in currently...

Now I have to decide if the cat(s) lost one or 2 lives... as they don't seem hurt during dating the bottles (1 life) but are also giving me a wide birth (1 life) currently....

Latest posts

Back