Chilling a Porter after fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill_face

Reaction score
I'm aware this isn't the done thing. But I've just started fermenting a porter. I usually let my beers ferment, leave them for a few days then bottle. All at the same temperature. I'm going to be away for a couple of days after xmas and was planning to bottle when I get back.

However, I've realised the implications are, if I go away and turn the heating off, the beer will drop in temperature a fair bit over those couple of days before I return and bottle

Having done a bit of Googling it would seem this may help yeast flocculate assuming fermentation has finished

Just wondering if anyone has any insights, and whether this will be a good or bad thing.

Cheers

Phil

What you're describing is called a cold crash, it helps to clear the beer as encourages any particles in solution to drop out.

There's no harm in doing this for most beer styles. One thing to consider is "suckback" if using an airlock or blow off tube.

Hey. Thanks for the advice. I'm using an airlock and hadn't considered suckback. Been reading about a balloon method to fill up a bit of CO2 at the end of fermentation that will get drawn back in instead of air. Think I'm going to give that a go somehow. I found this video which seems clever, and will be good for my lagers. Uses a catheter bag by the looks of it!

For just a couple days you might consider just leaving the heat on. It's probably cheaper than having to warm up the entire house again when you return. Gone for a week or more probably worth dropping the heat.

I know this has gotten expensive for you across the pond. If you do the math I bet it's at least even on the fuel consumption.

Latest posts

Back