Cleaning cornie kegs with thin bleach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above, I want to deep clean a couple of cornies. When I do this with plastic fv's, I clean them with oxy, then hit them with thin bleach solution, then a campden solution to remove any remaining bleach taint, then dry. When I want to use them, I just hit them with a videne no rinse solution just befor use.

I'm worried the bleach might attack the stainless cornie. Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Bleach will make stainless black. Unless you use it very diluted, but I can't see the point of that.

As above, I want to deep clean a couple of cornies. When I do this with plastic fv's, I clean them with oxy, then hit them with thin bleach solution, then a campden solution to remove any remaining bleach taint, then dry. When I want to use them, I just hit them with a videne no rinse solution just befor use.

I'm worried the bleach might attack the stainless cornie. Can anyone put my mind at rest?
No, I can't put your mind at rest. Don't do it! For stainless steel, you need something like Chemipro Wash (Oxi isn't really man enough for proper cleaning). You can buy it from HBC. It's quite expensive, but it works very well. I do my final rinse with a kettle of boiling water.
I should say that I don't have Cornius kegs, but use it to clean my SS fermenters.

Latest posts

Back