CO2 - S30 or tank?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlowe1992

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently picked up my first corny keg after battling away with a plastic pressure barrel. Let's just say we didn't see eye to eye and leave it at that!
At the moment, due to space restraints, I have the one keg that I plan to use for ales I'd serve at around cellar temperature. Sadly this does mean I'll be reliant on bottles in between brews. Further kegs and a fridge I hope will follow but they're for the future at the moment. Understand this isn't the best use of a corny but better than another plastic barrel fight.

I have the one keg, a regulator, party tap and lines. My dilemma is whether to take the plunge and get a CO2 tank (understand around £50 deposit plus £10ish for a refill?) or whether I'd be better using Hambleton Bard style cylinders, which I think I'd need to buy a new regulator for, but possibly better suited to my low use.

Have read various threads on this and can't seem to come to a decision. Any pointers either way?

I've also heard controlling carbonation with one of the larger tanks and regulators can be difficult. Any truth in this or a rumour to sell more expensive regulators?

Apologies if this has already been discussed in another thread. Feel free to point me there and I'll stop taking up new thread space!

Ta,
Dan

You can use soda stream type cylinders and you can get an adaptor to fit your reg i have one for taking 10L kegs on holiday, using them is very expensive compared to a full size co2 tank 6.3kg, i have 2 full size tanks one in the fridge for carbing and serving one for my pressure fermenters they last well over 12 months, i have never had a problem with carbonation you can set and forget or force carb, word of warning cornys are like rabbits they breed fast

I've also heard controlling carbonation with one of the larger tanks and regulators can be difficult. Any truth in this or a rumour to sell more expensive regulators?
True? In that you enter a world of confusing screw threads and adapters.

Get a cylinder, they are cheaper than little canisters, and handling is identical (just heavier, that's all).

CO2 is conveniently a liquid at relatively warm (still flippin' cold!) temperatures, so the size of tank is immaterial (like a water bottle if you want a really bad analogy).

It’s only confusing if you make it that way @peebee 😄

I would say to @dlowe1992 don’t buy a cheap regulator off eBay/Amazon etc. Every time I’ve seen one fail it’s a cheap one, and half the time it’s dumped an entire tank of CO2 with it.

Buy ODL, Micromatic, Cornelius, RLBS or any one of the brands. It’ll be more expensive, but only by the cost of a CO2 refill.

Normannumpa also sells reconditioned ex pub stuff on eBay and has a great rep: normannumpa on eBay

Wow, thanks for all the advice.
Much appreciated. Looks like I need to get myself a tank…

Anyone have any recommendations of where to buy in Shropshire / west Mids? I travel for work so no great hassle if it’s a bit of a way away.. surely somewhere round birmingham?

You can use soda stream type cylinders and you can get an adaptor to fit your reg i have one for taking 10L kegs on holiday, using them is very expensive compared to a full size co2 tank 6.3kg, i have 2 full size tanks one in the fridge for carbing and serving one for my pressure fermenters they last well over 12 months, i have never had a problem with carbonation you can set and forget or force carb, word of warning cornys are like rabbits they breed fast

I have heard this…
I haven’t had so much as a sniff of beer in mine yet and I’m already lamenting my ‘sensible’ decision to only get one..

Still, there’s time yet!

For gas, I’d recommend Neon Auto in Mere Green - they’re an Adams Gas stockist and the guy there is really helpful.

For equipment, as above normannumpa is based around Sutton Coldfield and is an utterly brilliant guy. If you know what you want, you can contact him directly and he can give you a better price because of the saving in eBay fees.

Latest posts

Back