Coconut Stout - 1st Ever Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottlad

Reaction score
Yes, I suppose I could (should) have just done a standard kit as my 1st attempt but fancied adding a flavour. After considering chocolate, vanilla & coffee I opted for coconut as something a little different.
I couldn't really find much info online so cobbled together what info I could and relied on trial and error.
1st I built a temperature controlled fermenting fridge as I'm using the man-shed. Was very impressed with my finished result and it works great. Got a lot of info here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48721

Next, I got the beer kit going. I chose the Muntons Gold Stout and followed the instructions. Fermented at 19' for 9 days.

Now for the coconut which I added to the primary after fermentation was complete. I ordered 1kg unsweetened coconut flakes online for about £8. Was worried about the massive fat content coconut has so spent an hour toasting batches in the frying pan. I left them until quite a deep brown... almost caught..... and set aside. The house now stinks of coconut as I presume a lot of oils burnt off and is now clagged to the curtains. Happily it's a lovely smell. No idea how much toasting they should have had but hopefully they aren't as fatty now.
I also had no clue as to how much to use. I toasted about 700g as a complete guess. I only wanted a noticeable hint of coconut, not a strong taste.
Next, I split the flakes into 2 muslin bags. As a test, I steeped one of the bags in boiling water for about a minute. The result was a lovely coloured and tasty coconut tea. But it did have a worrying film of fat once cooled.
I was going to steep in the fermenter at 19' for a week but after seeing and tasting the tea, I thought this would probably need reducing drastically.
I tied the bags together with fishing line and included an 8oz kitchen weight wrapped in a freezer bag to keep the bags submerged but above the yeasty residue. I tied the fishing line to fermenter handle and left suspended in the stout. I also added most of the coconut tea from the test (about 1 litre.)
Today (after only 24 hours with coconut tea bags) I tasted the mix and it was good! Very good :D I removed the bags and siphoned into a few bottles and the remainder into a barrel taking care to stop before the siphon sucked through and of the oily stuff floating on top...... although tbh, thee was very little to dodge. It didn't look too fatty at all. 2 more days at 19' then as long as I can wait to condition and clear.

I'm still worried about the fat content of the coconut and what it will do to carbonation/head retention but time will tell and i'll update in a couple of weeks.

Have made a little video as I made this first attempt with the help of my 3 year old son who's very excited to taste the finished product.... that should keep him off booze for the foreseeable :) I'll probably edit and upload the video after the first official tasting.

I've likely made some silly errors and no doubt those with experience will chip in with some tips. All advice appreciated.
Will update soon

I have a coconut porter I like to make and its a fun flavor to add. You can try making a coconut tincture (soak the chips in vodka then strain and add) but the oil can cause issues so I opt for adding coconut into my mash. I take regular sweetened coconut and toast it till its a sweet caramel treat and add to a brown paper bag for a day to allow the burn smells to off-gas. I add a little extract at bottling to fortify the aroma but its very delicate.

Looking forward to the video and tasting notes!

This sounds great for a first brew, was looking at recipes for coconut stouts the other day and apparently they go well with vanilla beans added as well. Could be another project for the future!?

Yeah I did contemplate chucking in a couple of sliced vanilla pods in with the coconut. I couldn't help imaginary tasting a sweet sickly beer that tasted more and more like a dessert :) Only a week or so before I can have a proper taste of this stuff but if it works, I'm sure that the coconut would go with a whole host of flavours..... coffee, ginger, vanilla, choccy, maybe a few splashes of rum..... :)

A single sliced bean for a single batch adds just a touch if vanilla which enhances the coconut.

I actually had a coconut/vanilla porter in a pub the other day and it tasted alot like cake mixture... not the taste your going for really.

All this talk of beer tasting like cake mix and dessert sounds like beery heaven to me. I've got such a sweet tooth, though.
It's a wonder I haven't got diabetes and no teeth the amount of sugar I've eaten in my life :lol:

OK so the brew is finished and tastes really good. I'll post the vid when it's done processing :)

OK so here's my first attempt on Youtube. Had fun making this beer with my son William and it tastes great. Hope you enjoy:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQ1RYM7c1Y&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Latest posts

Back