Cold crash guardian and blow off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Luke

Reaction score
I can’t find an off the shelf solution in the UK as an alternative to a bubble air lock. I’m trying to avoid suck back when bottling and cold crashing when using the Grainfather Conical Fermenter.

Spiedel airlock (orange)

Vigo sell them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221-162316_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221-162316_eBay.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 0
Hanks for this. How does it prevent liquid being sucked into the fermenter when bottling or cold crashing

A Plaato Valve also does what you’re describing, although they might be difficult to get hold of now that Plaato don’t seem to support their products. It’s a simple one way valve that fits inline with the blow-off tube from the fermenter

Hanks for this. How does it prevent liquid being sucked into the fermenter when bottling or cold crashing

Because the volume of the liquid is much less (filled correctly) than the volume of the space it would need to travel to be sucked back.

Don't compare these to an S shaped bubbler. I have these on all my stainless tanks. They don't suck back, and if you are concerned simply lift the cap. Consider also thicker water 🧐

If you are worried about suck back when cold crashing, try fitting a John Guest one way valve into your blow off tube or airlock assembly....

20240222_122100.JPG

Latest posts

Back