Colour adjustment via toasting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do not list roasted malt or grain in the website which made me think they do not use it. However they use the same list of ingredients for most of their beers other than the porter so it is very likely any colouring is coming from sugars, unless the roasted malt is so small of a % they don't need to list?
With Golden Promise being a barley variety rather than a type of malting, it could possibly be that they have Golden Promise roasted for them, and they generically list both base malt and black malt under 'Malt type: Golden Promise'. Although, I'm inclined to agree though that the recipe is 100% base malt. And I wouldn't be suprised if Crisp malted TT's Golden Promise to a unique specification.

With Golden Promise being a barley variety rather than a type of malting, it could possibly be that they have Golden Promise roasted for them, and they generically list both base malt and black malt under 'Malt type: Golden Promise'. Although, I'm inclined to agree though that the recipe is 100% base malt. And I wouldn't be suprised if Crisp malted TT's Golden Promise to a unique specification.
Those were also my thoughts exactly, hence the home toasting idea. I might shoot them an email and see if they will tell me. They may have mercy on me since I can't buy it over here.

Unfortunately my gravy has other things I don't want like salt, celery, garlic etc... The first ingredient is caramel though
I don't think anyone was suggesting putting gravy in beer. They were suggesting gravy browning, which is just colouring (and a bit of salt apparently). Very different from gravy granules etc

I don't think anyone was suggesting putting gravy in beer. They were suggesting gravy browning, which is just colouring (and a bit of salt apparently). Very different from gravy granules etc
You mean not this?

1676915378106.png

And then I come across this, 100g or so of extra dark crystal.

Attachments

• AG-Innkeeper-1527030651353.pdf
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
And then I come across this, 100g or so of extra dark crystal.
Classic way that Americans get British beer wrong, they obsess over colour and use "flavour" ingredients to get there so it tastes wrong.

Taylor's are pretty open about adding caramel to Landlord to make Ram Tam Landlord Dark, and (presumably rather more) sugar to Boltmaker/Best to make the old Black Bess stout :

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29462#p320252
Yep, the only problem with gravy browning is that it often has quite a lot of table salt in it. You can certainly buy brewer's caramel online.

I am getting ready to brew a TT Landlord clone, and the colour is coming out too light. I don't like using roasted malts for darkening as I always get a roasty taste in the finished product which Landlord does not have.

My thought was to toast a portion of the golden promise to get me in the region? Has anyone done this before?
I have but toasting doesn't add colour more on the flavour side. That is for Samuel Smiths India Pale ale, colour comes from whichever roasted malt you wish to use, Smiths allegedly use crystal 90L. Added as a none fermentable at mash out for 20 minutes @ 77C

Latest posts

Back