Condition and cold crash times after dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
My first AG brew has fermented down to 1.007 from 1.058 in my Fermzilla all rounder. It is the GEB Pimped Up APA (pimped APA), brewed via BIAB.
At just under 1.020 I added a bag of dry hops, left for three days and removed these yesterday with sterilised tongs (with CO2 purging during additional and removal). It's now sat in my brew fridge at 23 degrees and around 10psi, I'm not sure what to do next... It will be going into a Corny keg and some bottles for any left over.
Should I:
  1. just transfer now and finish off conditioning in the keg/bottles, carb drops in bottles, force carb of keg.
  2. leave for another 2 weeks at this temp, then do a cold crash (reducing 1-2 degrees a day down to 1 degree?), then transfer to keg/bottles
  3. something completely different
I'm leaning towards 2, cold crash in FV then transfer so less crud ends up in the keg but, after a cold crash, will there be enough yeast in suspension for secondary fermentation to work in the bottles?
Is the reducing slowly down to cold crash temps a hangover from 'olden days' or is this still valid? My last kit brew I just went from 22 to 2 over a couple of days, basically as fast as the small fridge could reduce the temp.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks!

Once I'm happy that fermentation has finished I just turn the fridge down and cold crash for 3-4 days then transfer. There's always some yeast that gets transferred so no problem with carbonation, might just take a little bit longer. Hope that helps athumb..

I usually check gravity on day 10 by which time fermentation is nearly always done, dry hop for 3 days then cold crash for around the same.
I just chuck my dry hops in loose, after cold crashing it's all dropped out and the beer is clear.
I transfer to a clean fv before kegging/barreling like you, there's always enough yeast for secondary fermentation.
My latest batch of ESB was my first sugar primed in a corny, turned out very nice.
IMG_2021-06-06-14-10-52-326.jpg

Hadn't thought of doing that, is there a calculator for vols/sugar amount or did you just scale up from the usual bottling amount?

I'm sure there is a table to show vols/sugar amount but I just went with my usual dosage of 4gm per litre.
Although I do seem to recall reading somewhere you need less in a corny mine turned out good.
Purged with Co2 from Sodastream bottle via regulator after filling then left it to do it's own thing and was
carbonated within a few days.

Latest posts

Back