Coopers Canadian Blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe11123

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Done my second batch of homebrew, first batch turned out really well eventhough I added about 2 litre too much of water! :laugh8: (ST Peters Ruby Red Ale)

For my second batch I've bought Coopers Canadian Blonde. I did 1.2kg of sugar (Did have a beer enhancer kit but a bloody mouse got at it asad.)
Also under brewed it to 21L as i saw some posts that it improved it.

Bottled after 10 days, 2 weeks in bottles now, I'm finding the beer has a cider-esk twang to it. I'm not sure if this is cause of the sugar rather than the spray malt/dextrose.

Will this go away?

Hi. I don’t have loads of experience but when using normal
Sugar I have had that cider type taste. As a minimum use dextrose. Coppers are pretty good usually. Sometimes fermenting high temp can give strange taste. Having said that I’ve just brewed the coopers european lager at 22 and it was fine. Should be at 16.

Hi, the cider-esk twang may fade over time but I have found that with normal sugar it never completely goes away. The problem with normal sugar is that there is no malt backbone that you would get with a beer enhancer that would contain Dry malt extract. I would just use pure DME instead of sugar or a beer enhancer as this has helped for me in the past. Appreciate for this one the mouse left you no choice!!!

I kegged 19l of this in a corny on the 9th May. Made with coopers brew enhancer 2 and 500g Light spray malt. OG 1.052 FG 1.014 after 2 weeks at 21.5C. ABV 4.99
First taste is not great, it has quite a pronounced banana flavour. I hope it improves with age....

So not much hope for it, I opened a 500ml bottle of it last night only drank abit and seem to have a bit of a headache today !!
OG was 1040 and FG was 1006 so 5-5.2%?

With the one can home brew kits, ill make sure to get some beer enhancer or DME :laugh8:

St Peters IPA next in line! Might start it today, like their kits.

Last edited:
Back