Corny float kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40634

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a kegland floating ball kit that comes with a lid to replace the standard corny lid. The new lid has a post to which the tubing and float attach. The idea is that you can draw off beer from the top of the corny rather than the bottom so, in theory, get clearer beer.
I’m using the ball lock type beer (black) disconnect and these fit perfectly to the posts on the corny but won’t attach to the post on the new lid so I can’t draw of the beer via the float.
Does anyone know where I’m going wrong? Does the kegland post need a different type of disconnect?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kegland posts are usually universal (gas and beer). You could try a gas disconnect to see if that fits, otherwise might just need some lube.

PS I'm not sure what that kit gives you over just the normal floating dip tube, connected to a gas post. I guess it gives you an insurance for when the floating dip tub starts sucking in air.

What's the need for the post on lid? I imagine it's maybe so you don't have to remove the original dip tube?
I know this doesn't help, but I bought a few of the dip tubes to replace the dip tube, and I thought they weren't that great to be honest and have since replaced the dip tubes. I didn't experience noticeable clearer beer and just got annoyed at them flopping around and out when trying to clean the kegs. I guess maybe that is one advantage of having on the lid

I stopped using mine for the reason I mentioned. If the end goes above the beer line its game over. Some use a stainless nut to counteract this.
If you draw from the bottom, only the first pint is a bit murky, then all good.
It does take a few minutes to get the silicone tube over the gas line, when it's inside the keg, which I guess is one benefit of having it on the lid too.

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve tried 3 different connectors and food grade lube without success but the supplier has been good enough to send a specific connector to try and get it to work. I may just end up using the gas outlet post or replacing the dip tube or just accept a few cloudy pints. Thanks again

I've been using one of those floating extractors on a lid, but an entirely different scenario:

I use floating extractors anyway (fitted to a short "beer out" dip tube). But I use the "Caskwidge" floating extractors (which have built-in gauze inlets). I got the lid as an "emergency! I also fill the keg via the "beer out" tube. And before Xmas I filled the keg with beer in the "secondary" where it had been dry hopped with hop pellets.

Flippin' hop pellets get everywhere ... including the gauze extractor of the Caskwidge! One of those floating extractor lids was a Godsend! No-one else need ask "what's the need for one of them"! I do need to rethink how I fill kegs in future though.

I do use "pushfit" fittings to connect the extractor tube to the short "beer out" dip tube. So, I can reasonably remove and reattach the silicon tube and extractor. Those tubes do accumulate yeasty deposits which would otherwise be difficult to clean out (or even see). That's a tip born from experience! sick...

Latest posts

Back